Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to lube the fan in the dashboard? High pinched squeak when on medium and low speed.
Any precaution with the air bag next to the fan? Issue in w211 e320 and w212 e350 sedans.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,205 Posts
I think the fan is on driver side and can be relatively easy to access.
Choice of lubricant is important. Don't use anything that catches the dust, do dry silicone, or graphite lubricant comes to mind.
I wonder is MB has its own "blower bearing grease" like they do with almost everything else.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
13 Posts
How do get access?
This is a super easy job. I chased the "squeaky mouse" sound in my fan for 8 months. Basically, just look under the passenger footwell area and start removing the few screws that hold the cover on. There is a footwell light you have to unplug. Once you get off you will see the HVAC fan cover with a wire harness plugged in just right of center looking up.. I think these are T25 screw heads? Unscrew, and pull the fan out. I used a dry silicone door lubricant as well as another slightly heavier spray lubricant; however, this left a small bit of smell for maybe 2-3days. Both the smell and sound went away initially. The bearing squeal did come back every 3-4months. I finally just got tired of band aide fixing this and dropped $140 on a new fan. FCP has a life time warranty on all their parts so I figure if it ever starts squeaking again I would get a free replacement. So far so good.

Here is the part I bought:

Good luck. Seriously just get in there. You won't break the car...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the old fan bearings is it sintered brass or a real ball bearings? If the former usually 20 wt turbine oil ( non detergent ). Will need to order some but squeak has stopped.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
I think they are sinstered bronze bushings- very common problem on W211s. Blow out the fan when you have it out- relube every 6 months or replace it. Your choice. Traditionally, I always heard ppl using a drop or 2 of ATF.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
The motor manufacture uses oillite bronze bushings. You can remove the bushings, clean them in acetone, warm and re-charge by dropping them in oil. There is no oil on install or assembly by the manufacture of the motor. The bronze sweats a slight bit of oil when it gets warm which provides the lubrication. they dry out with time and use... then you get the squeel and/or excessive wear. This is a general discussion and might not

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,412 Posts
The motor manufacture uses oillite bronze bushings. You can remove the bushings, clean them in acetone, warm and re-charge by dropping them in oil. There is no oil on install or assembly by the manufacture of the motor. The bronze sweats a slight bit of oil when it gets warm which provides the lubrication. they dry out with time and use... then you get the squeel and/or excessive wear. This is a general discussion and might not
What type of oil do you use?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The house hvac blowers use turbine oil to wet a felt pad that touches the splinter bearing. Used zoom turbine oil . Non detergent 20 wt oil. But had to oil yearly. Anything longer lasting?

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
926 Posts
I used transmission fluid on my W126. So far, so good after two years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read that compressor oil is non-detergent 30 weight oil. My fans stopped squeaking by them selves. I will wait until the weather warms to oil them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts