Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I re-replaced the front wheel bearings, hoping and thinking it would resolve this issue. It helped, but the noise is still there. Once I hit 30 MPH, i hear this rubbing, humming noise. Re-replacing the wheel bearings helped. It not as loud as it was before, but I can still hear it. I also replaced the rear wheel bearings. However, the sound seems to becoming from the front.

Could it be the tires? What else could it be? I have replaced everything upfront.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Tires could be - check wear patterns and tread depth. Also check brake components the caliper slides could be sticking and causing the pads to drag.

CLK430's are notorious for CRAZY driveline noises that are associated with the tires. If the alignment is off (even if its not) or there is aproblem with a bad balljoint, or draglink the steering geometry gets messed up and causes a tire to drag. Tire wear patterns develop and you get some really strange noises.

On mine - the rear tires develop a bad center/edge pattern over time even through the alignment is within spec (MB Alignment at dealership) the noise after 7 or 8 thousand miles is like a helicopter and it gets worse. Sounds like a bad bearing. Noise also travels to the front.

Check tire wear, joints then the brakes which are a pain to really check without pulling everything apart again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts