Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 C230, 2005 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 2005 E320 I have a bit of a rattle or clunking sound coming from the rear only when I go over a speed bump or some other large bump/hole in the road. it is happening pretty consistantly. I think it may from the spare but I am not sure. Has anyone else had a similar experience. This kind of thing will drive me nuts.[:(!]

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
I don't want to give a dumb answer here, but have you tried looked at the spare yet and seen if there is a way to tighten up how it is fastened into the well underneath the trunk? Also, arenlt there some metal components for a jack stored in there as well so that you have the ability to change your tire out on the road. Perhaps one of these has gotten loose and just needs to be snapped back into its retainer clip.

Also, acoustics in the W211 can be tricky. I once thought that I had a rattle coming from the passenger seat headrest, only to determine later that what I was hearing was the zipper pull on my laptop pc bag that was on the floor behind the driver's seat rattling around. The acoustics caused this to sound like it was coming precisely from the headrest. My point is that the rattle you are hearing may be coming from somwehere else in the car and it just sounds like it is coming from the trunk. I am not sdiscounting your description, I am sure if I sat in your driver's seat, I would hear this coming from the same place as you do. But due to the weird acoustical properties of the cabin, it may be coming from somewhere else entirely.

The only way to figure out things like this is to systematically make small changes like that and test the reuslts until you have eliminated every possibility. During this process, the cause usually becomes evident and you can then permanently fix the problem. You dealer can do this process for you, but you have to make sure and sit in the car with them, take them out for a drive, and then point out the sound when it occurs and have them acknowledge that they hear it. Otherwise, they will just stick some tech in it who will drive it 200 feet in the parking lot and say that they "could not identify the issue".

·
Registered
2004 C230, 2005 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Yes, I have had the spare out and tighened it up and made sure the jack and other tools are secure. It is possible the sound is coming from somewhre else as you say. I will continue to investigate and test, I just thought it was worth posting in the event it is a common thing with this body type, and I was waisting my time. The weather is so bad in upstate NY this time of year its no fun to try and troubleshoot little things like this on the car.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
Always worth posting something like this. I did the same thing when my passenger side seat sensor was malfunctioning and it saved some other readers alot of the brain damage that I had to go through to fix the problem.

Now that I have a better understanding of the info you are seeking, I can confirm that I have not heeard the type of noise you are describing in my W211 '05 E-class.

Good luck solving the problem, and when you do figure it out, please make certain to update this thread with your findings so that anyone with a similar issue can avoid the process of systematically isolating the source of this noise.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
Make sure the battery is properly clamped down too.

·
Registered
2004 C230, 2005 E320
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 2 days my dealer found a vavle in the fuel vapor canister in the right rear fender well bouncing. They jammed some insulation aroung the thing and it stopped. Now I have a rattle in my sterring wheel. They are on day 3 and part #2 trying to fix that. Fortunatly my problems have been minor, but annoying.

·
Registered
04 E320 4Matic
157 Posts
When my 2004 E-320 4-matic rolls over a bump, the rear head rests will jump up and then hammer down, creating an annoying noise. Does the same happen to anybody else's car, please?

·
Registered
04 E320 4Matic
157 Posts
To Bruner, thanks for starting this discussion! To those who have responded/are responding to my question, thank you!

·
Registered
2008 Super Charged Range Rover, 2007 GL450, 2007 S65 Renntech'd
197 Posts
I have an 05 E500 and I have the same rattling noise. Whenever I go over any bump, it's like I can hear some knocking or something. I had a similar noise with my wife's grand cherokee and it was the strut. The dealership couldn't figure where the noise was coming from, so I just gave up.

·
Registered
2005 E500
141 Posts
I also had this same issue in a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and in my case too it was the strut (right rear struct on my jeep)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts