W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wore my sennheiser noise cancelling headphones on a 600 mile journey in the 240d, they worked like a champ.

check your local laws though as driving in some states with headphones is illegal!
Yeah that's pretty cool. However, I was wondering if there is some device you can attach to the car that will cancel out the noise of the diesel engine that we wouldn't have to wear and everyone in the car just wouldn't hear the engine. Something that would be placed in the engine compartment and would cancel the noise within the engine compartment itself. Sort of like a microphone and a speaker that will produce the opposite canceling frequency within the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1984 €uro 300D NA
758 Posts
Foam earplugs are $.25 each. :D

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont think its available, but where theres a will theres a way. should work great if its the same system.

i like to diagnose my car from noises so this would be something for a very select group of people, who like owning old cars but not fixing them

Lotus and Harman partner on noise-cancelling, noise-creating tech
I was thinking of modifying this, which is for homes/office spaces but I think it should work. Cambridge Sound Management & QT Quiet Technology — Sound masking, speech privacy, white noise and workplace acoustics.

For check-ups and diagnosis, it could be turned off.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Mp3s are my solution.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
Just remember if you're ever in CA you're not allowed to have 2 headphones on. One ear is supposed to stay free.

I say screw that and just plug in the iPod and turn up the volume.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Seems like you'd want to hear some of the engine noise so you can hear if something sounds abnormal.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts

·
Registered
81 mercedes-benz 240D 400k (in portugal),97 Mercedes-Benz E36 Amg (dad's car)
330 Posts
hey leave the these engines alone. lol no their fault. i don't mind the contrast from my 240d to my E36 bmw coupe lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts