Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this car for a few weeks. When I bought it it had a buzzing noise behind the glove box.

I did a quick search of this site and found this:

As Miguel says, the "buzzing" you hear is most likely the air sampler motor/fan for the HVAC system. This little contraption is clipped to the back of the dash trim panel at the lower, RH side. Typically it will make noise when the car is cold; as the interior warms up the noise disappears. It took me a while to locate the source of this noise on my 260E a few years ago.
http://bos-engel.com/benz/sampler.jpg

Now I have 2 questions.

What is the proper name for this part. "Sampler motor" is not a part I am finding, and what is the best approach for replacement. Does it call for pulling the glove box?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have had this car for a few weeks. When I bought it it had a buzzing noise behind the glove box.

I did a quick search of this site and found this:

As Miguel says, the "buzzing" you hear is most likely the air sampler motor/fan for the HVAC system. This little contraption is clipped to the back of the dash trim panel at the lower, RH side. Typically it will make noise when the car is cold; as the interior warms up the noise disappears. It took me a while to locate the source of this noise on my 260E a few years ago.
http://bos-engel.com/benz/sampler.jpg

Now I have 2 questions.

What is the proper name for this part. "Sampler motor" is not a part I am finding, and what is the best approach for replacement. Does it call for pulling the glove box?

Any help is appreciated.
The glove box should be pulled (easier to work) and its very easy to do so. Just take your time and pry out the plastic clips that hold the box inside. Also pull the white plastic that hides the little lamp and remove the 2 bolts on the glove box latch.

The motor should be on the right, after you remove the glove box.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
The last one I bought new was for my 88 wagon. The part is called a "sampler blower" on my invoice and the part number was 000 830 19 08. It was a Bosch part. Cost about $35.
I can't remember if I was able to R&R it by simply removing the glove box insert. I think I had to remove the dash RH lower trim panel as well. I know that it is held to that panel by a big clip. I just can't remember if I was able to snake my hand down there to disconnect the wiring and the hose...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After calling MB this morning. They are calling the part number listed above (08301908) an aspirator motor and it costs about 67.00. How is that for inflation!!

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I bought the above-mentioned part less than 6 months ago. What you're seeing is the price difference between an online aftermarket parts supplier and a MBZ dealer (aka stealer). Now you know how they got that nickname. Somebody has to pay for the fancy showroom and nifty uniforms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts