Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a noise that comes from behind the glovebox when I start and stop the car. I brought it to the dealer and they removed the glovebox and lubed the position motor gears on the fresh air flap. It was quiet for 1 day and started up all over again. This noise happens whenever you stop at a light and sometimes when you go to accelerate again. Has anyone else had this problem? I have 4500 miles on the car and this is the only problem but it can be very annoying.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does it sound like a "thunk" like the flap closing? I hear it mine but haven't paid too much attention to it.
Yeah...same here. Just a gentle thunk every now and then. I've never owned a car before that had a fully automatic climate control system in it, and occasionally hearing the vents opening and closing themselves while I'm driving took a little getting used to. It's not like its really loud or anything, but that interior is much quieter then my previous car's was, and you just hear everything.

If it's more like a whining noise (or...urk...a grinding one!) then, yeah, that would annoy me too. I've got just over 8k on mine and, so far, nothing like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had that identical thumping noise start about one month after we got our C-300 Lux. Happened only when I came to a stop. Even if I slowed to a crawl first. It went away after a couple of weeks. I thought it was coming from lower down not the glovebox. Hard to tell. Have`nt heard it since the temperature stayed below zero and the snow started to stick.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you noticed if the a/c indicator lights up when you hear the thunk? I think I've caught it a couple times switching the a/c on once the cabin warms up. Just a thought, maybe no connection. Don't let the thunk distract you from the driving situation ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you noticed if the a/c indicator lights up when you hear the thunk? I think I've caught it a couple times switching the a/c on once the cabin warms up. Just a thought, maybe no connection. Don't let the thunk distract you from the driving situation ;)
The AC light is always on when the dual climate control is set to auto. (Wife thing) The thump didnt really bug me and since it hasnt returned so I dont even think about it anymore.
The only other thing that annoyed me (but expected it was coming) was the auto folding mirrors jamming up due to ice when opening and closing. Just a little Pssd when that issue reared up. I have since turned them off until the spring.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flap Motor noise under dash / glove boot

This noise is caused by a flap motor under the dash, I had my car in srevice 5 times for Mercedes had a tech come out, he found the tension on the spring needed an adjustment, there should be a service notice out now if you contact the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This noise is caused by a flap motor under the dash, I had my car in srevice 5 times for Mercedes had a tech come out, he found the tension on the spring needed an adjustment, there should be a service notice out now if you contact the dealer.
Was that five times for the noise or for other issues?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was 5 times for the noise behind the glove box, I had to call mercedes customer service before this issue was resolved, I was told by the mercedes rep there would be a service notice going out for this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like I said in one of my earlier replies, the thump isn`t there since we`ve been having the most snow ever recorded for southern Ontario. My motor flap springy thing may be a bit tighter than yours and since the heat is usually set to max it may show up later when we dont require as much heat in the car. I am definately bringing this up on my first visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me the noise was caused by the hinge of the flap controlling air recirculation, and a small spring associated with it. I sprayed lube on both and the noise went away. The hinge was accessed by removing the cabin air duct above the battery, and removing the glove box. The spring was accessed by removing the glove box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts