Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2002 ML 270 diesel (I think the car / model is great) however I have started to experience a noise coming from under the hood / bonnet and the slight smell of burnt oil inside the car.

Making my inspection, I removed the plastic casing over the engine and immediately noticed a very small amount of smoke (and noise) coming directly from the top half of the middle injector (next to the oil cap).

Being on a pension and on a fixed income, would someone please / kindly suggest what the problem might be and any cost effective solution?:help:

Even with this problem, the vehicles drives well and I don't notice any power loss - Then again I'm a slow and cautious driver.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,146 Posts
The CDIs develop injector leaks. It needs to be checked out. If it goes to long the injector
can become very difficult to replace. It sounds like an injector leak to me and the sooner
it is checked out the better.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
The injector seals failing is very common on these engines, easy to fix though, and as mentioned, better to fix sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info - I've also had the opportunity to reseach a little more and learnt that the problem could very well be associated with the copper seal. Basically a copper seal needs replacing and a good flush and clean of the area should do the trick.
Now I need to find a diesel guy to do the replacement as I'm of the belief that you need a special tool to remove the injector.
This is a L O N G shot, but does anyone know of a diesel injector guy in Melbourne Australia that wont charge like a wounded bull ?

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Usually, the injector will remove quite easily without a puller as long as the engine is at working temperature. Make sure you renew the injector bolt (which is a stretch bolt) at the same time as the copper seal

·
Registered
2002 ML270 CDI
178 Posts
If you get stuck, I have an injector puller you can borrow, and I'm in Mount Waverley. But see how you go, if you get it early enough and do it while hot, it might just lift straight out.

But first you need to buy a new copper seal, a new injector hold down bolt, and you may as well get a new injector clamp too - since it has been replaced by a stronger forged part now. The parts are all fairly cheap at MB. At the very least you must use a new bolt and seal, otherwise you run the risk of breaking the bolt off and causing yourself a massive headache/expense.

You might want to check the other injectors while you're at it, I just spray some soapy water around the base of each injector and check for bubbles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts