Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the carpet out! gosh thats a bear.

Okay so when i bypassed the NSS i was able to start the car. I guess that means i need a new NSS. Right?

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
is there anyway to temporarily bypass the NSS non destructively for a few days so i can drive the car to the shop for an alignment and replacement of the NSS? (im really really not looking forward to replacing it in the snow, under the car etc.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
639 Posts
You must be getting well accustomed to the driving snow by now Graham, after all that, frostbitten fingers n all?😁

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You must be getting well accustomed to the driving snow by now Graham, after all that, frostbitten fingers n all?😁
Its the first Snow of the winter, Im not yet used to it, but im racing to finish this job because its taken me almost two months to do the wheel bearings, what with parts, delays, mistakes etc. It really sucks to have the NSS go bad at the end of this process. I meant to take a picture in the snow this afternoon, but then i was just so angry with the car i was racing to finish.

Anyway its only because of everyone here on this forum that Im able to do this work -- Thank You!

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think you missed my meaning. Now that I’ve confirmed the problem part Via bypassing it behind the accelerator pedal i was wondering if there was a non destructive way to temporarily bypass the nss and potentially Other elements so that I could easily start and drive car to shop. But I think The answer is no / not worth it.

·
Registered
W124
4,764 Posts
Okay Graham. I understand you better. Well first off, you haven't really nailed it down to the NSS yet. The ignition switch and wiring to the NSS is still unknown. Granted though, the likelihood of that stuff breaking down is less so than the switch itself which is a known failure item. You might ask the alignment shop foreman if he would have his tech install the switch if you bring it with you. Its a pretty simple job only requiring a position adjustment once in place. Its a half hour job. On a lift its "cake".

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah that’s my plan. I really don’t want to get under the car again. And I did just replace the speedo cable so I know the nss wire is there and intact (cursory inspection of course).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts