Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 300te 4mattic
So my car has been on blocks fo 7 weeks as I replaced three of the four wheel bearings and now is having trouble starting.

First it would crank but not catch. I’ve had this problem before when it has sat for a long time. Basically just runs the battery down. And I do need suggestions for how to improve this situation after sitting. But...

the real problem is that it won’t crank at all now. No starter clicking - no crank nothing. I need to make sure the fuel pump pre-start pressurizing is happening, I know from experience I can’t hear it inside the car, but assuming that the fuel pump is charging what are my trouble shooting steps?

battery is fully charged, fuses are good. Ovp fuses are good,

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,892 Posts
How old is the battery and have you had it load tested? And are you using the recommended group49 size battery?

Any battery past the 4 year mark is suspect in my book, and past 5 years it is still living on borrowed time.

As for the electrical leak, you'll have to use a multimeter to determine which circuit is drawing excessive juice. Your car should not pull more than 50mA when fully at rest.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,647 Posts
Place the shift lever in neutral and give it a try.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you for all replying. So the battery is a few month old pulled from another Mercedes. It’s good.

having the no starter issue in both park and neutral. The transmission interlock was replaced 4 years ago.

I guess the next step would be braking out the multimeter and trying to isolate the issue. Does anyone have a suggestion for isolating the problem. As in where should I be testing for power, what should I expect.

to be clear the first step is to figure out why the car isn’teven making an attempt at starting. (zero response from starter).

these cars are very finicky in low power situations but I don’t think that’s it as the battery is good, charged, and even when jumped to a running engine I’m getting nothing.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
636 Posts
Check the control wire connection to the solenoid on top of the starter. It comes down a combined sleeved lead with the oil level sensor (in sump) wire and the oil pressure switch wire. Could break with corrosion. They originate from a multiplug on the bulkhead.

Check the multiplug going into the autobox is secure.

Check the earthing strap chassis to bellhousing about under the drivers left foot.

·
Registered
W124
4,732 Posts
Graham,
There is a three pin connector up on the bulkhead in the area where the brake booster is. With the car in PARK, introducing 12v to the center post on the male connector (the end of the connector that is secured to the bulkhead) should make the car crank. Be sure the car is in park.

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuttebenne. Thank you for that hint. That’s super helpful. Looks like I’ll be having some fun in the freezing rain tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,169 Posts
I would check out any of the YouTube vids using a multi-meter for parasitic drain. This is a good one....I like Eric, he's simple and his voice doesn't make my skin crawl. Absolutely make sure the wires and juice are going to your starter though, as was well suggested here.

Kevin

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I confirmed that the starter cranks when I jumped it directly from the battery! Yay.

I should mention that it’s snowing and about 25 degrees out And I’m coming down with a cold. Which is all to say any help is appreciated

so what the next step in diagnosing the problem?

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Ignition switch....jiggle it as you try to start the car. Parasitic drain test as posted to cover your bases. Grounds......

Kevin

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Kevin. Trying to avoid parasitic drain test because it means opening the fuse box to blowing snow.

juggling ignition is next step.
Is there away to jumper the neutral/park relay to confirm that’s not the culprit?

I think I mentioned this but the lack of starter has happened before. Usually came back after a couple of minutes After trying to jump , whigle shifter banging on steering wheel, getting in and out of car Etc. this is making me think, and with your comment of wiggle key that it could be in the dash/steering column. What else should I be checking?

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Jump like in the pic too as available option.

Terminal Block SD Jump Start blow up oct 13 m.jpg

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
636 Posts
Also the ground in the starter is where? I’m guessing under the car?

post no 5

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Didn’t see the terminal block by the battery. So I’m search for the plug behind the accelerator pedal.

silly question how do I easily remove the carpet in the drivers footwell?

the screw on the tunnel is removed but I can’t for the life of me find instructionson removing the floor carpet.

·
Registered
1993 300te 4matic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So remove accelerator pedal from floor. Then the accelerator bracket. Then carpet comes out. And i should seem the nss plug behind the accelerator pedal?

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,647 Posts
Didn’t see the terminal block by the battery. So I’m search for the plug behind the accelerator pedal.

silly question how do I easily remove the carpet in the drivers footwell?

the screw on the tunnel is removed but I can’t for the life of me find instructionson removing the floor carpet.
Get a grip on the carpet and pull it out. There are large dense foam blocks on the backside. Lift up, then out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts