Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
This exact thing happened to me a few years ago and I was given the solution on another forum. The car ran a short time under rich fuel conditions stripping the rings of residual oil. Remove each spark plug and put about a table spoon of oil in each cylinder. Put the plugs back in and it will fire up. I would recommend pushing it out of the garage as it will smoke like a dragon
But if there is no fire at the coil, this is not a possible solution. It would have to run, that is the basis of the problem.

·
Registered
2004 E500
91 Posts
You are correct. OP should verify spark and fuel first as both are required and easy to confirm. Diagnostics 101. I would then try the oil in the cylinders. I was assuming the OP has already verified spark and fuel.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
1,471 Posts
Regarding the EZL modules, I have a 300SL24 with EZL 012 545 20 32 or 21 32.
If mine fails where do I get a replacement module ? New is not affordable here. Used ? But where from ?
Reconditioned ? Warranty ?
Used EZLs are very rare and eBay chancers are looking for 500 to 1000€.

Some say they can be repaired and they quote 500 to 1000€ for that. I can't recall anyone saying they've had a repaired one. Repair is VERY difficult as the unit is sealed and the contents is "potted" in some very difficult to remove substance. So they say.

I bought a NOS EZL 012 545 20 32 from MB in Germany for 1100€. I tested is as OK but it's in stock for the future.

So, sadly, you need to save up.

RayH

·
Registered
3 Posts
The two replies are the about the dumbest replies I’ve read in a while. And I’m really not trying to be rude, or pick a fight. But come on.
For starters, we need a bit more info:
Manual or auto trans?
Does it just crank, but no start, or no crank at all?
Was the car operating flawlessly previously?
Did it actually start eventually?
The dumbest thing is asking him it it has a manual trans !!

·
Registered
2007 SL55, 2002 S430, 2021 GLC 43
7 Posts
I have a 1990 300sl that I backed out of carport shut off for about 10 min tried to start turned over but no start. without shop manuals I'm lost can anyone help. Thanks Ralph
I had a 1999 SL500. Had a similar problem. It was the Crank Position Sensor. Changed it and viola. Life was good

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
1,471 Posts
I had a 1999 SL500. Had a similar problem. It was the Crank Position Sensor.
My 1991 has never trashed a CPS. I think that vintage is pretty reliable. But I have heard of many failures on later cars so there's probably sense in what you say. If his is a 1990, I would not vote for the CPS.

R

21 - 29 of 29 Posts