Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

parked my 99 e320 4matic yesterday at 1p.m. ad left passenger door open. Returned three hours later, put in key and it cannot be turned. That unlocking sound that you usually have when you put the key into the ignition does not happen. tried spare key. nothing. charged battery, nothing. checked fuses... look good.

Any ideas where to start?

thanks
Florian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one, please? I still suspect the battery, but does the mercedes ignition unlock block with low battery? I charged it until my charger said full, but its not a high quality charger.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Could be the battery. Do you have any way to perform a load test on it? The climate control will measure the voltage but that is impossible for you since you can't turn the key. If the battery is 4-5 years old I'd try replacing it. Members have said the warehouse clubs have a better price and warranty that the MB ones from the dealer. Another thought is to call MB Roadside assist. They will send a tech with a battery and replace it for no labor charge. Note: If you do this yourself, check the stickys for the steps required. Plus you'll have to synchronize some things and enter your radio code. Good luck.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Hey all,

parked my 99 e320 4matic yesterday at 1p.m. ad left passenger door open. Returned three hours later, put in key and it cannot be turned. That unlocking sound that you usually have when you put the key into the ignition does not happen. tried spare key. nothing. charged battery, nothing. checked fuses... look good.

Any ideas where to start?

thanks
Florian
Are you able to open, close and lock the car via the key???

Does your car have the anti theft system??? If so what happens when you depress the panic button??

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
door open *shouldn't* have been a factor as a power draw as it enters sleep
mode after a few mins anyway (try this in your garage). but the battery could
have been in weenie enough condition that it was playing catch up now.

'battery charged' usually means someone put a charger on it, but I find that
those who inspect fluid level, specific gravity, are in the minority. i'd look for
assurance that the battery is confirmed as being up to the task of operating
a 210.

then, i'd insert the key into the ignition and go make lunch/dinner. come back
and try starting the car again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, heres the data.
doors open and close with remote, radio works.
nothing happens when panic button is pressed.

battery:
12.5V under no load, 11.0V under 100A carbon pile load.
thats not terrible I believe, but also not good. I guess unless someone else has a better idea, I will go to costco for a new battery.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I don't believe the issue is low voltage. You indicated that you had 11V and that is the minimum.

We know the key batteries are good because you were able to open close and lock the doors which suggest the PSE is functioning.

I believe that you can't initiate a start because the ECU is being told that the car is not in a starting position ay P or N.

With the key in, foot off the break, are you able to adjust the shifter out of P say to N. If you are then try to start the car!!

Another possibility is that there is an issue with the DAS--this idea assumes that your key is correct for the car. You don't have two cars and have switched keys by mistake???

As soon as you insert the key, the key and the ignition switch shake hands, the key is energized by a coil in the switch,not by the batteries, if ok you hear the stearing lock release and you can turn the key and wheel and then start the car if the trans is in startable position.

Hope this information is helpful

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good idea with the P or N issue. I cannot adjust the shifter though. Its stuck in P. ok, the car sits on a lsight grade, I trie to push it a little and put a wheel chcok in to take the load of the tranny, but still no success. maybe there is still a load on the trany that keeps it in P.

Ok, just played with my inlaws E320. I dont think you can ever shift out of P without the key turned.

damn.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
One thing for sure, the key must be recognized by the ignition switch. Then you hear that noise which is the result of the message to the stearing lock to unlock and also allows the key to move to the next position.

The key recognition requires at least 11volts--which you have confirmed---correct.

You are also sure that you are using your key and not you famlies key--right!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, I have used two different, correct keys for this vehicle. my regular key and the flat reserve key.
this morning, I just walked to the car again, freezing cold, snow outside. put in the key and everything was back to normal. turned it started up, drove it all morning.
thats kind of god, kind of scary. no problem if it happens in the driveway and I can just take a spare car, but anywhere else it would be a pain. so if anyone else here wants to give a speculation a shot, that appreciated. Also, after starting it up, anti-lock and bas malfunction came on. disappeared after driving two hundred feet or so and everything clear of codes now, except worn brakes, but that was on before the whole episode.
florian

·
Registered
'01 E320 4Matic
54 Posts
yes, I have used two different, correct keys for this vehicle. my regular key and the flat reserve key.
this morning, I just walked to the car again, freezing cold, snow outside. put in the key and everything was back to normal. turned it started up, drove it all morning.
thats kind of god, kind of scary. no problem if it happens in the driveway and I can just take a spare car, but anywhere else it would be a pain. so if anyone else here wants to give a speculation a shot, that appreciated. Also, after starting it up, anti-lock and bas malfunction came on. disappeared after driving two hundred feet or so and everything clear of codes now, except worn brakes, but that was on before the whole episode.
florian
This happened to me over the summer.

My issue turned out the be the 'key' itself. Got a new one and away I went.
(I didn't have a spare to try).

Since you tried BOTH...it's probably the ignition module(in the column) itself.

At least that was the next thing on my list to get. My battery was fine as well.

As for the warning lights..mine came on again last night(as the can when it get's cold) ...brakes are all fine...it's most likely the (I thinkg it's) the nuetral saftey switch or some such simle switch. There's a way to test it but basically it's a low cost item that needs to be replaced.

Right now I've turned 106000mi and need to go over everything...a little check up!

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts