Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
EVO 1
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A split second after turning the key, I got a sound similar to a balloon popping and the engine quit. I got under the hood immediately and noticed a small trickle of smoke coming out of the tiny round hole in the center of the air cleaner. If I turn the key now it tries to start with a chug and cough, but refuses to run.
Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1984 190E 2.3 8v
119 Posts
are you sitting down

do you have a rattle from the front.

you could have jumped your timing[B)]

·
Registered
EVO 1
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. There's no rattle, but since I've had this car I've had a couple of electronic failures. The windows & rear window defogger quit, years apart though.
The mechanic says the engine is good and I'm getting sparks but he has no electronic diagnostic capability.
Jumping the timing. Sounds great...explain please.

·
Registered
1984 190E 2.3 8v
119 Posts
it sounds like you have lost the timing - if you have fuel, spark but no bang, take out the number one plug and bouce the engine until you get TDC, then check the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley.

open your oil filler cap and look at the timing chain and try and pick it up.

·
Registered
EVO 1
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. What's the procedure to fix it if you're right?
Note: I had an '87 190 that over the span of several years developed a wicked timing chain rattle. It ran, (loudly,clickety-clack), up to 60 mph for those years, until a drunken driver totalled it while it was parked.
What kind of rattle do you mean? I never experienced the clickety timing chain rattle in this car. I could hear the cylinders going through their motions standing next to the engine.
Standing next to a Late Model short track race car, the cylinders rattle off noise that makes you want to put oil in the car immediately!
What do you think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts