Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
01 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home in the evening and near my house, I braked behind a car and my ABS/BAS/ESP lights appeared and stayed on. I parked the car at my home and had a malfunction indicator on my instrument cluster. The next morning I got in the car and there was no malfunction indicator and I attempted to start it, but the car would not start or go in gear. I was able to turn the key in the ignition, but the engine would not crank (no sound), and the car would not come out of park. I had the car towed to a Mercedes Dealer, who diagnosed the problems as the car showing faults in the shift selector and transmission module. I have an 01 E320 Sedan with 75,000 miles. Prior to this incident, I did not have any problems with the car going in gear and starting. The Dealer wants $2600 to repair the car. Does anyone have opinions on what the problems could be with my car. I suspect the problem could be a simple electrical issue.

·
Registered
W210 2001 E240
1 Posts
When was the last time you changed your car battery?

I had a similar problem with our family car, a 2001 E240 last week. I was trying to start the car as usual and it cranked up and died before the engine could start running.

After that, I couldn't manage to turn the ignition to start at all. Wanted to push the car out to use someone else's car battery to jump start it but the gear selector was stuck in park too.

We changed the battery and the car could start, with the ABS, BAS and ESP lights lighting up. Had those errors reset at a local workshop and the car is running fine since.

Turns out the battery was a Varta and it lasted us for 5 years.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hello DJ and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile, available via the "User CP" link.

There are quite a few threads devoted to either the shifter module and the transmission control unit. Please look first at the DIY sticky threads above, and a search. In the meanwhile, I'm sure that others will add input here.

If both of those modules do need to be replaced, it's going to be fairly expensive just for the parts. But I certainly do not think it will be near $2600.

Edited because Bringit got one in ahead of me.

Also welcome to you, Bringit, and please take the same moment to complete your own user profile.

Thanks for posting your own experience. While he may have a different problem with his car, your symptoms do sound quite similar.

·
Registered
01 E320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The battery is fine, no problem. Could the brake light switch be the source of the problem? Would a faulty brake light switch cause the car not to start or go in gear?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
no

but a dead battery would.I would get it out of the dealer,install a new battery,read the codes and if need be replace the trans module yourself or at an indie shop.if you look in your manual it shows how to use a pen to press the detent in the shifter to get it out of park so it can be towed.
ohlord:bowdown:
the shift selector and the trans module are both part of the same unit diy removal is in the diy section and a brand new unit is less then 800 bucks.if you diy.
all those lights come on when battery voltage drops below a set voltage,that is why you need to check the battery output and get it away from that dealer.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem, CLK320 wouldn't reverse, so I stuck a pen in the 'hole' and now the damn pen is stuck!!!! Any tips on how to get it out???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts