Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well it worked.... then all of the sudden, NO SOUND from my stereo and when i press CD, it displays NO CD CHANGER...it used to say NO MAGAZINE and telephone doesn't work either...it used to work and now it says NO TEL

i have NOOO clue as to waht the hell is going on....

can u guys help me?!?!?

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one knows???

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
You may want to pull the radio out and check all of the fiber optic connections and electrical connections. You can get the radio out with a small pocket knife, as shown on www.slk32.com (cd changer installation procedure). The phone and the cd changer are on opposite sides of your trunk, so since there both not working, it's probably related to the head unit (radio). If you don't find any loose connections, you may just want to unplug the radio and check the connections and wiring harness as far as you can see it. Remember that if you unplug the radio or disconnect the battery, you will need your radio security code to make the head unit work again. If you don't have it, any dealership can give it to you from your VIN. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k i disconnected the battery and put it back on...now the phone is ON. okay so the security code....i think i accidentally put the wrong code in. cuz the previous owner didn't give me one so now it says WAIT the whole time. I even try to disconnect the battery again and it wouldn't work... WHAT DO I DO

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
I believe that if you enter the wrong code it makes you wait like 10 minutes before you try again. Disconnecting again will not help. This is just an added security measure. Check the manual, I think if you put the wrong code in 3 times something else bad happens...

PT

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't have a manuyal...it's a used car and the last guy didn't give me jack... he gave me a code but apparently its wrong...

but are you coming out to Loch Raven today around 5ish? it would be nice to see some BENZes out there

hope you can make it. I gotta go to work and heading straight up there

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i got the CODE screen back... I just need to stop or call the dealership to get the new code or the original code... errr

·
Registered
163 Posts
Since the seller gave you the wrong code card, chances are he replaced the radio at one point, so a code lookup by VIN number would give you the same result (happend in my case, although the dealership actually replaced the radio).

But they can look up the code not only by VIN, but also by the head unit's serial number, so I would give that a shot.

About the NO PHONE and NO CD CHANGER problem: It is not necessarily the head unit that is faulty. If there is a break in the fiber ring, none of the "slave" device will work.
This means that either you have a wiring problem, or one of the devices (PSE or CD changer) went bad.

Here is how you can troubleshoot this (and you can do that even when the display says "CODE?" ;)

When you turn on the head unit, it will try to initialize all devices on the fiber ring. You can actually see that when looking at the fiber connector. Unplug the connector from the CD changer, and watch the red end, while someone else turns on the radio. You should see it flashing red. If it does, you know the signal goes to your CD changer. If not, there is a problem either with the headunit or the fiber cable coming from the headunit.

So if it did flash red, Plug the connector back in, and do the same thing with the connector on the PSE (phone control unit, is behind the left trunk panel). If you get the red light there, your CD changer is fine, otherwise it is bad, or the fiber cable between CD changer and head unit is bad.

If it did flash red, pull out the radio, disassemble the fiber connector and pull out the red end, so that only the white side is inside the shell, and plug it back in. If you turn on the radio and the red end (which you pulled out of the connector) doesn't flash, your PSE doesn't work. If it does flash red, your headunit went to hell.

Once you narrowed it down this far, you can also use a flash light to check if it is one of the fiber wires that is faulty.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts