Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, let me say thank you to all the members of this board for posting wonderful information. I inherited s 300D Turbo from my father. He purchased it with a bad transmission. We pulled the tranny and had it rebuilt. After that we found out that one of the injectors was loose. When we tightened it it hammered like it had a bad rod. I happened on another engine so I replaced it and had a hell of a time getting it running until I used the original Injector pump timed it. I loaded it up on the trailer and hauled it to Texas where I currently live. Today I pulled it out of the drive and went for a drive. It seemed to shift a little early but the shifts were nice and firm. Then when I went to take another drive on the highway to clear it out it would not shift until 3,800 RPM. It was 2 quarts low on fluid, I filled it back up and I checked the vacuum regulator and adjusted it, and ensured that the vacuum modulator was holding vacuum and took the slack out of the kickdown cable. If you take it to 2,000-2,500 RPM and shift it into neutral then back into gear it will shift, but won't shift out of first gear until 3,800 RPM otherwise. I give up on trying for now an bow to any helpful suggestions. :bowdown:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add, it is starting off in first gear. Could something in the valvebody be stuck or could it be the vacuum modulator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so far for the help. I disconnected the kickdown switch and adjusted the Bowden cable out (if I take it any further I think it will fall out of the adjustment nut!) The first 1-2 shift was at about 2,500 RPM and it went up to 4,000 RPM and still didn't shift. I stopped the car and tried it again, this time it didn't shift until almost 4,000 RPM. I stopped it again and put it in Park then back in Drive. It dropped the 1-2 shift back to 2,500. The shifts into reverse and the initial shift into first and the 1-2 shift are hard. I did have to replace hose from the vacuum pump to the brake booster because the nipples were broken off and vacuum hose glued on with RTV. Do you think that they cranked the vacuum modulator in to compensate for the higher vacuum due to the broken vacuum line and that this is causing my current problems? Thanks, Jeremy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks so far for the help. I disconnected the kickdown switch and adjusted the Bowden cable out (if I take it any further I think it will fall out of the adjustment nut!) The first 1-2 shift was at about 2,500 RPM and it went up to 4,000 RPM and still didn't shift. I stopped the car and tried it again, this time it didn't shift until almost 4,000 RPM. I stopped it again and put it in Park then back in Drive. It dropped the 1-2 shift back to 2,500. The shifts into reverse and the initial shift into first and the 1-2 shift are hard. I did have to replace hose from the vacuum pump to the brake booster because the nipples were broken off and vacuum hose glued on with RTV. Do you think that they cranked the vacuum modulator in to compensate for the higher vacuum due to the broken vacuum line and that this is causing my current problems? Thanks, Jeremy.
The vacuum adjust how hard it shifts and not when. I think maybe your bowden cable might be stuck, this is what adjust when it shifts along with internal things in the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is a valve in the tranny. I have adjusted the Bowden cable from end to end of the adjustments. When you take it loose you can feel the resistance from the spring on the other side. Again I am stumped. I am starting to think something is stuck in the valvebody.

·
Registered
432 Posts
What year is your car? And, if you replaced the engine, what year car was that comming from? I think we should have more info before going further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sorry, the car is a 1982 300D Turbo with the 4 speed automatic. The engine was from a like car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts