Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420, 1990 560 SEL
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my my 2nd post for the day as my E420 is doa as well but my 1990 560 SEL is my baby, my dear sweet daily driver and I started lossing revers gear, it was slipping and kicking in hard so my local iondy shop said, "mike change the tranny floid and see if that helps" well did that and no revers at all now so I am told time for a new transmission. I have been quoted 3500 to but in a rebuild. Is this a fair price? Would it be better to just have my transmission rebuild? Or does any one have a good source for a low millage one? I am told the correct one for my car is the 722.350 I am told a lot of other models would be compatible but never quite right and to stick with the 722.350 for my car. I hate to see it just sitting by my dead E420. I had the car fully restored just before my wife lost her job a year back so it looks like it did the day it was new. :(

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
I have been quoted 3500 to but in a rebuild. Is this a fair price? (
IMO, I don't think that is a particularly good price. Here's an auction from a well-known re-builder, Sun Valley Mercedes, for $1500 + shipping: 1961-1996 Mercedes Transmission w/ Torque Converter Rebuilt | eBay 2 year unlimited mile warranty also.

Install should only run @ $600 (or less) I'd think. Of course 'used' is an even cheaper option, but probably only in the short-run.

Best of luck !

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm going to throw in my support for Sun Valley too. I picked mine up there, so it was $1250 since I had core in-hand. Both my 300SE and 300TE have Sun Valley transmissions in them and they both work absolutely flawlessly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts