Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 1990 190e. everything works except the right rear power window. took out the center plate(around shifter) and hooked up a test light to check for power on the switch. got power, checked the plug for the switch at the door, no power. okay i took out the passenger floor mat popped up the covers and started tracing wires from the door post foward.lost the wires at the firewall. tried to trace the wires from the center switches which the harness looks to go back along the transmission tunnel but could not get the center console off to check. this is where i am stuck at and any ideas on what to do next or what to try ,check would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1984 190e 2.3
96 Posts
i had the same problem. sometimes the female terminal gets pushed out adn it doeesnt touch the switch. just push in each of the wires with some force.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thought that may me the case but have unplugged the door switch and placed my test light in each plug terminal but can not get one that is hot. i know there is power from the plug terminal at the center console but cant figure out why there is none at the door harness and has me stumped.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Komp
182 Posts
Just a thought...does the child lock button have to be in the unlocked position?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked that also. made sure it was off and still no juice. got power on all the other doors. both front and rear driver and front pass but none on rear pass.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Komp
182 Posts
You know what I just remembered that this one time that I was taking off my door panels (front and rear). To do so I had to remove the rear door switches to get the panel off, now when I put everything back together the rear windows didnt work. Then 'magically' they worked on their own. All I remember is that the rear switched wouldnt light up, thats how I knew the windows werent working. Then later on (i dont know what i did, I think i disconnected the battery and checked the fuses) the switches lit up and started to work.

I also at the time had spare window switched, so what I did was tried the front window switches on the back windows to see if it worked. Just to check whether I had destroyed the motor or not, and as I remember it worked.

I recommend you leave it as it is, come back a few hours later take it all apart, assemble the switches again, one-by-one and try again. Just get a fresh start. Dont forget to check the fuses either. Note you'll have to remove the fuses, a visual inspection wont be enough.

Also determine is the rear window switches on the door panels light up or not? Its not hard to take the switch apart either, many times the small ball bearings inside get displaced. So try a spare switch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts