Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 clk430 cab was stored over the summer in covered storage. The battery was totally dead, so dead they couldn't jump start itwhen I went to pick it up. I carried a new battery in and it started up fine. There was/is some code craziness, I figured from the dead battery. It ran fine. Drove it for a week then stored it for a month under a car cover with a battery tender on it. The storage place was supposed to keep the tender on it, but I seriously doubt it. Uncovered and started driving it again this month. Am getting BAS, SRS, tail lamp out, and 1 other. The ac wasn't working. I took it to a well respected Indy (MB only) They evacuated and filled the Freon, tried to clear the codes(they kept coming back) and tried to fix the brake lamps. They diagnosed everything they could and concluded that the Sams weren't communicating with the main computer. That's a dealer domain only.
So can anyone give me an idea of what I'm looking at going to the dealer. Is the rear SAM expensive? What about the main module? It feels like I'm gonna have to yell rape soon.Lol

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional info: These symptoms point to the brake light switch. They installed a new one and a new relay, checked the bulbs and still no brake lights. So they put my old switch and relay back in. The tail lights work fine, just no brake lights. Thinking about replacing the bulbs anyway and checking grounds. I still think that totally dead battery messed things up.
Can the rear SAM be re-programed??

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 coupe
14 Posts
Additional info: These symptoms point to the brake light switch. They installed a new one and a new relay, checked the bulbs and still no brake lights. So they put my old switch and relay back in. The tail lights work fine, just no brake lights. Thinking about replacing the bulbs anyway and checking grounds. I still think that totally dead battery messed things up.
This sounds very familiar as my CLK430 recently displayed the same issues. My first attempt to replace the brake light switch did not fix the brake lights issue. I removed the new switch and refitted it several times before the problem was sorted. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong initially and there's not much room under there to see whether it's located and clicked in correctly. I'd have another go at it before resorting to reprogramming.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
00 clk430 cab was stored over the summer in covered storage. The battery was totally dead, so dead they couldn't jump start itwhen I went to pick it up. I carried a new battery in and it started up fine. There was/is some code craziness, I figured from the dead battery. It ran fine. Drove it for a week then stored it for a month under a car cover with a battery tender on it. The storage place was supposed to keep the tender on it, but I seriously doubt it. Uncovered and started driving it again this month. Am getting BAS, SRS, tail lamp out, and 1 other. The ac wasn't working. I took it to a well respected Indy (MB only) They evacuated and filled the Freon, tried to clear the codes(they kept coming back) and tried to fix the brake lamps. They diagnosed everything they could and concluded that the Sams weren't communicating with the main computer. That's a dealer domain only.
So can anyone give me an idea of what I'm looking at going to the dealer. Is the rear SAM expensive? What about the main module? It feels like I'm gonna have to yell rape soon.Lol
Thanks for the replies.
Update: The brake lights suddenly started working and the 4 malfunction alerts went away. The next time I drove it everything came back. We've had a lot of rain recently. I opened the trunk and some water spilled into it. I left the trunk open in the sun all one day. When I started the car to raise the windows, the malfunctions were gone. Drove it today and everything was great. I'm wondering if it is some kind of moisture issue?? The trunk has no water in it and the top doesn't leak. The battery is a couple of months old. I'll check all the fuses and any grounds I can find.
This car has gremlins! If I take it to MB they will start replacing SAMS and computers. How can they diagnose this car when it comes and goes.

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
329 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
Update: The brake lights suddenly started working and the 4 malfunction alerts went away. The next time I drove it everything came back. We've had a lot of rain recently. I opened the trunk and some water spilled into it. I left the trunk open in the sun all one day. When I started the car to raise the windows, the malfunctions were gone. Drove it today and everything was great. I'm wondering if it is some kind of moisture issue?? The trunk has no water in it and the top doesn't leak. The battery is a couple of months old. I'll check all the fuses and any grounds I can find.
This car has gremlins! If I take it to MB they will start replacing SAMS and computers. How can they diagnose this car when it comes and goes.
If the problems resolve themselves when you have dried the car out, that would seem to be the issue. The carpets and soundproofing in the foot wells, both front and rear are very deep. So much so that the top of the carpet can be dry, but the sound insulation underneath is sodden. This was the case with my previous W208. It might be an idea to remove some of the carpets completely to investigate.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem fixed. It turns out that it was the headlight switch. It is no longer available from MB or aftermarket. I found a used one on eBay for $113. A lot of the electronics are run thru the headlamp switch. There like 15-20 fuses in the headlamp switch. Who knew???

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
329 Posts
Problem fixed. It turns out that it was the headlight switch. It is no longer available from MB or aftermarket. I found a used one on eBay for $113. A lot of the electronics are run thru the headlamp switch. There like 15-20 fuses in the headlamp switch. Who knew???
Thanks for the reply. Always good to hear how a problem has been resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts