Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL 500 w/Pano, 1999 CLK 320
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I turned on my radio today in my 1997 SL with The factory radio/tape (no CD).
The unit powered up, frequently displayed, antenna rose...but no sound.
No sound from tape either (ruling out an antenna issue).

No error codes.

The car recently had some work done, but nothing to do with the radio.

Could something be unplugged?
Is there a separate fuse for the amp?
I checked the underhood fuses and there is just one for the radio, but I couldn't find a list for the trunk box.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Yes, the amp has a external fuse right where the big connector plugs in.

Martin

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE: After the owner's manual proved less than helpful, Becker Autosound came through...sort of.
They told me to check the fuse and told me the amp lived in the cubby hole in back of the driver's seat.
The fuse was fine.
My local Indy shop did some online research and suggested checking a amp plug "Somewhere in the trunk" but couldn't be more specific.
Finally I called the dealer, they said being in in and they'd take a quick look at it.
The service manager, based on my day so, checked the trunk first and we found nothing back thete. Finally, he asked to look at the amp. He took a look and found the amp cable loose.
In and out in 10 minutes...no charge.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
4 Posts
UPDATE: After the owner's manual proved less than helpful, Becker Autosound came through...sort of.
They told me to check the fuse and told me the amp lived in the cubby hole in back of the driver's seat.
The fuse was fine.
My local Indy shop did some online research and suggested checking a amp plug "Somewhere in the trunk" but couldn't be more specific.
Finally I called the dealer, they said being in in and they'd take a quick look at it.
The service manager, based on my day so, checked the trunk first and we found nothing back thete. Finally, he asked to look at the amp. He took a look and found the amp cable loose.
In and out in 10 minutes...no charge.
Hello John - I am troubleshooting some issues with a family ‘95 SL320 that I was given a few months ago. It sounds like I have a similar radio issue to yours. Can you direct me to where the amp cable is located? My husband and I have done a bunch of hunting around already and all fuses now check out (or have been replaced to fix an instrument cluster non-working light).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as we know next to nothing about the Benz world.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
944 Posts
Hello John - I am troubleshooting some issues with a family ‘95 SL320 that I was given a few months ago. It sounds like I have a similar radio issue to yours. Can you direct me to where the amp cable is located? My husband and I have done a bunch of hunting around already and all fuses now check out (or have been replaced to fix an instrument cluster non-working light).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as we know next to nothing about the Benz world.
Heres a long shot, there's a cable on the positive battery post clamp check that it's tight. Also the wire may be broke inside the insulation at the eye connector

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • 88kesysteach:
I'm my case it was the main plug going to the amp. I somehow missed it when I checked the fuse, but the dealer's service writer found it in two seconds!

My amp is in the cubby hole in back of the driver's seat.I

Sorry I can't be of more help...good luck.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
4 Posts
88keysteach:
I'm my case it was the main plug going to the amp. I somehow missed it when I checked the fuse, but the dealer's service writer found it in two seconds!

My amp is in the cubby hole in back of the driver's seat.I

Sorry I can't be of more help...good luck.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1995 SL320
4 Posts
Thanks, John. We spent more time with it today and determined there is no power to the amp. Without having the wiring schematics in hand my husband is stuck for any further trouble shooting. Only so much he can do with a DVM. We checked out recent suggestions from the forum and unfortunately they were not the solution for us.
-Jill

·
Registered
1995 SL320
4 Posts
Thanks, FATHERTIME. We spent more time with it today and determined there is no power to the amp. Without having the wiring schematics in hand my husband is stuck for any further trouble shooting. Only so much he can do with a DVM. We checked yours and other recent suggestions from the forum and unfortunately they were not the solution for us.
Heres a long shot, there's a cable on the positive battery post clamp check that it's tight. Also the wire may be broke inside the insulation at the eye connector

1 - 9 of 9 Posts