Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320 I6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Martin and I'm retired military and proud owner of a 97 E320. I currently have a crank no start and it's been that way for 4 months. I've replaced the alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, spark plugs, coil packs and on my 4th battery since January I know there's a parasitic draw. I got a power probe and a diagnostic computer. My friend printed me out what I like to call the Mercedes Bible. Everything I need to k ow about my car down to schematics etc. But I'm fed up cause I've spent alot of money and it still won't start. I've hooked up the noid kit. But no pulse to Injectors meaning no signal. I know the signal wire has all positive leads from injectors. I'd love if someone could offer any advice at this point. I'm almost ready to sell it but I know I'd regret it later. Any help would be most appreciated.

Attachments

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,589 Posts
Hello :).

Have you checked / replaced your K40 fuse / relay module under the hood at the passenger side ?

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,066 Posts
Light flashing on the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Hello my name is Martin and I'm retired military and proud owner of a 97 E320. I currently have a crank no start and it's been that way for 4 months. I've replaced the alternator, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, spark plugs, coil packs and on my 4th battery since January I know there's a parasitic draw. I got a power probe and a diagnostic computer. My friend printed me out what I like to call the Mercedes Bible. Everything I need to k ow about my car down to schematics etc. But I'm fed up cause I've spent alot of money and it still won't start. I've hooked up the noid kit. But no pulse to Injectors meaning no signal. I know the signal wire has all positive leads from injectors. I'd love if someone could offer any advice at this point. I'm almost ready to sell it but I know I'd regret it later. Any help would be most appreciated. View attachment 2690969
It would have been a lot cheaper to have a MB dealer or a independent look at this .everything is diagnose able without putting a part store in it .what you do you spend $ 3.00 for a can of starting fluid , if car run on that , you dont spend a dime on ignition parts .why 4th battery , even stone dead they recharge fine . if i recall if the alarm is set , the injectors wont work .

·
Registered
2005 OM648 W220 S320 CDI
10 Posts
Gillot is spot on +1. In addition:

Thank you for your service to your country. I'm a mil bkgrd myself.

If there is live signal and you're just missing the control signal, I would start looking into control side of this:

ECM Signal for fuel. Board level problem.
Crank/Cam Signal Sensors (Basically does the engine know its being fired up? Do we have a spark? You did mention spark plugs but never said if you saw a spark)

There could be two kinds of issue here let me explain. Now that we know that we positively do not have a fuel control signal, we can have either of the following two situations going on:

A. The ECM is not recognising the veh start attempt and thus its not firing up the injs and plugs. The crank is turning over but for the ECM it is still in ACC position. This could happen even if you had a bad crank/cam if you didnt check for a signal at the ECM main harness plugs. I have seen split/corroded CPS CKS wires do this.

B. This could be an injector-specific control issue. That is, either wiring of injs (highly unlike for all 6 to go together) or a driver inside the ECM or a relay like the K40 or any driver for the injectors in the schematics.

C. Above is applicable only if there is positive 12V on all sparkplugs and injs. If not, then the diagnosis would be control+power.

·
Registered
1997 E320 I6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello :).

Have you checked / replaced your K40 fuse / relay module under the hood at the passenger side ?
Yes Sir. I even purchased a new one but it's after market and well there's no open slot for the 40 amp fuse and a few of the 15 amps as well.
20210405_154944.jpg so here's what I ordered the new one on the left and original OEM on right. See where I'm questioning it, missing pins and less fuses.

·
Registered
1997 E320 I6
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gillot is spot on +1. In addition:

Thank you for your service to your country. I'm a mil bkgrd myself.

If there is live signal and you're just missing the control signal, I would start looking into control side of this:

ECM Signal for fuel. Board level problem.
Crank/Cam Signal Sensors (Basically does the engine know its being fired up? Do we have a spark? You did mention spark plugs but never said if you saw a spark)

There could be two kinds of issue here let me explain. Now that we know that we positively do not have a fuel control signal, we can have either of the following two situations going on:

A. The ECM is not recognising the veh start attempt and thus its not firing up the injs and plugs. The crank is turning over but for the ECM it is still in ACC position. This could happen even if you had a bad crank/cam if you didnt check for a signal at the ECM main harness plugs. I have seen split/corroded CPS CKS wires do this.

B. This could be an injector-specific control issue. That is, either wiring of injs (highly unlike for all 6 to go together) or a driver inside the ECM or a relay like the K40 or any driver for the injectors in the schematics.

C. Above is applicable only if there is positive 12V on all sparkplugs and injs. If not, then the diagnosis would be control+power.

Thanks for the military support. I do have spark and fuel pressure. And did some research on hardwiring the fuel pump to the battery on a 30 amp relay. It's a crank no start. She really wants to turnover. It does start with starter fluid but then dies after about 15 sec with me feathering the gas pedal. I have 2 MAFS and both in good condition. I might just contact the VFW. Since I am disabled and a vet I can get money to fix it rather than me continuing with it on my own. The keys I have for it are odd too much
So there's the small key for emergency but it works the Trunk and passenger door. The big one is the ignition. No key fob. I'm still curious if the alarm is set or in valet mode for the reason why it won't start 20210510_012727.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
6,066 Posts
That's a R170 K40. Return it and get the OEM one.

That big key is not the key that starts the car.

Use the small key.

Reactions: Odin73

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes Sir. I even purchased a new one but it's after market and well there's no open slot for the 40 amp fuse and a few of the 15 amps as well. View attachment 2691044 View attachment 2691044 so here's what I ordered the new one on the left and original OEM on right. See where I'm questioning it, missing pins and less fuses.
open the old one and look for bad solder joints on the board , if some found re solder it. most parts have MB numbers on them , use that .

·
W210 Section Moderator
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
8,589 Posts
Yes Sir. I even purchased a new one but it's after market and well there's no open slot for the 40 amp fuse and a few of the 15 amps as well. View attachment 2691044 View attachment 2691044 so here's what I ordered the new one on the left and original OEM on right. See where I'm questioning it, missing pins and less fuses.
You have the wrong fuse panel. The missing fuses are F1 (transmission and traction), F4 (the big orange fuse for the secondary air injection pump) and F6 (the fuse for the horn pair. Fuses 2 and 3 will power the ECU, and Fuse 5 will power the fuel pump.

It looks like you have a fusepanel for the models that do not have electronic transmission and electrical S Air Injection Pump.

Replace the fusepanel with the correct one or repair the one you have if defective.

From your description, with the starter fluid the car runs but stalls after 15 seconds. That means the the ECU has power and generating sparks. I assume you checked the fuel pressure at the rail. If the fuel pressure is fine, then you may have fuel injection issues (maybe badly clogged). You can remove few and check the fuel injector spray pattern.

If you have a scanner, connect it and check for codes after you start and run the engine with starter fluid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts