Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes ML500 special edition
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm hoping I can get help really thinking it's my catalytic converters but would like more feed back before I put in test pipes my main issue is no where around me is doing scans right now (that I can find anyways) in low end of the rpms my ml500 is mainly just spitting and sputtering and barely climbing in rpms at all during it but as I get it to around 3k rpm as long as I can keep it up there it has plenty of power but I can still fell the sputtering slightly can anyone confirm or deny my thought and if so please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong here

Also the vehicle set for 8 months before I bought it I've fixed the coolant temp sensor that was causing issues before hand got all codes cleared for awhile before this popped up and was told the missing from that sensor could have cause cat issues

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,715 Posts
Cats are easy to check. Remove front O2 sensor, install pressure gauge. Gun it few times. Pressure going above 3 psi is restricted exhaust.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
A simple cat test, using a temp gun, fore and aft of the cats.

·
Registered
1998 ML320 (W163)
181 Posts
Alright I'm hoping I can get help really thinking it's my catalytic converters but would like more feed back before I put in test pipes my main issue is no where around me is doing scans right now (that I can find anyways) in low end of the rpms my ml500 is mainly just spitting and sputtering and barely climbing in rpms at all during it but as I get it to around 3k rpm as long as I can keep it up there it has plenty of power but I can still fell the sputtering slightly can anyone confirm or deny my thought and if so please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong here

Also the vehicle set for 8 months before I bought it I've fixed the coolant temp sensor that was causing issues before hand got all codes cleared for awhile before this popped up and was told the missing from that sensor could have cause cat issues
Any CEL? I had power problems with my ML320 for a year before I figured out what the issue was, ending up being a failed MAF sensor.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes ML500 special edition
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I have a parts vehicle so I'll try swapping maf and try my pressure test and see what I can figure out at the end of the week appreciate the feedback and will post to let know when I can find out and fix the issue
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Alright I have a parts vehicle so I'll try swapping maf and try my pressure test and see what I can figure out at the end of the week appreciate the feedback and will post to let know when I can find out and fix the issue
Thanks everyone
Before you swap out the MAF, you should scan to get a baseline of your STFT and LTFT with the existing MAF, and then test again with the replacement maf. It wouldnt hurt, plus, it gives you some comfort playing with your scanner, that many others buy and have it collect dust in their garage / toolbox.
(not saying your one of those guys) and if you dont need it, return it.
:)

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
886 Posts
Khomer, the way I was reading this, our new member doesn't have a scanner.. That's why I posted links to a couple of them..

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Khomer, the way I was reading this, our new member doesn't have a scanner.. That's why I posted links to a couple of them..
Ah, got it.

meh! Anyone that needs/does DIY ought to have at least access to a scanner, even a neighbor.
oh well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts