Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300TE, 1972 220 (RIP), 1982 300TD, 1985 500SEL
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a very nice '92 300TE with 120,000 miles on the odometer. Previous owner had done a complete valve job at about 100K. Previously, I had owned a '87 300E and was very impressed with the acceleration and overall power. My new car can barely get out of its own way! Very slow acceleration, have to use the kick down switch to get up even modest grades, reminds me very much of the two diesels I used to have. I had a pre-purchase inspection done and the mechanic didn't mention any engine problems. Is this typical of this model or do I need to look further? I almost suspect a restriction of some sort, perhaps in the exhaust system? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Cooney

·
Registered
140 Posts
hay Dan, do a compression check or a leak down test for your peace of mind!!
also check for vacum leaks or misrouted vacum lines. You could also read your
spark plugs and check your timing. remove your catalytic converter for testing
only, I suspect oil passed thru the valve guides and killed your cats CLOGGING
then up.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Could also indicate a failing transmission. My TE seems to have alot more power now that I rebuilt the tranny.

·
Registered
140 Posts
daneby said:
I recently purchased a very nice '92 300TE with 120,000 miles on the odometer. Previous owner had done a complete valve job at about 100K. Previously, I had owned a '87 300E and was very impressed with the acceleration and overall power. My new car can barely get out of its own way! Very slow acceleration, have to use the kick down switch to get up even modest grades, reminds me very much of the two diesels I used to have. I had a pre-purchase inspection done and the mechanic didn't mention any engine problems. Is this typical of this model or do I need to look further? I almost suspect a restriction of some sort, perhaps in the exhaust system? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Cooney
Dan , did you have time to check the car out yet? let us know what you found out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking it in to my mechanic next Monday, I will let you know what he says.

·
Registered
1990 300TE
129 Posts
I have the same problem as you do, Dan. Notice the little hole in the top of the air filter cover? This goes all the way down to the air/fuel mixture screw. A 3mm allen wrench long enough to reach this is the way to go. If the mixture screw has a ball bearing in it to keep you messing w/it, I would like to recommend a web site that you can get a book on performance tuning. It includes how to get the little ball bearing out, and adjust your mixture to get a lot better performance. Fortunately for me, I didn't have a ball bearing in my '90 300TE. The web site is:

www.mercedessource.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Stickman, I will check out that web site right now. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts