Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

No Oil Dipstick?!

43611 11
I just did my B service oil/filter change (BTW, I use a topside oil extractor). And this is the first time I've done an oil change on this vehicle. I went to pull the dipstick and it's not there, just an MB dipstick tube plug.

Everything else went as expected, and car is running fine, but I like the reassurance of having a dipstick to test my oil level as opposed to trusting the instrument panel telling my my oil level is ok.

Also, when I added the first 8 quarts, I did the oil level test and it came back saying add 1 qt to max oil level. I added 1/2 quart and retested, and now it says "Perf Serv On Time" or something to that effect -- no level indicated (or does that mean level is normal?).

Thanks,

Boris
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2002 S500, 1984 500SEL
473 Posts
Boris,

The S500 came with an engine oil dipstick, but only a plug for the transmission oil dipstick. The engine oil dipstick tube is towards the front of the passenger side of the engine, and the transmission tube is on the passenger side up near the fire wall.

Is it possible that you might have pulled out the transmission fluid and put engine oil back in the transmission? If this happened, don't worry, it can be corrected.

· Registered
15 ML 250 BlueTec
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I had that same thought, but no, I pulled oil from the front passenger side dipstick opening.

I even looked for the transmission dip to make sure (it has the locking red tab), and that is indeed at the passenger rear.

It's weird, the plug for the oil dipstick is a genuine MB part (don't have the part number right now).

Regards,

Boris

· Premium Member
2002 S500, 1984 500SEL
473 Posts
EXCELLENT! I was a bit concerned, but it could have been fixed. I agree about having an acutal mechanical dipstick and hopefully someone can post about the dash indicator.

You won't believe this, but I went to EPC to get the oil dip stick number for your vehicle and found out that it is standard without the stick for vehicles with 4matic, just plug #86! The stick number for a non-4matic is listed, but the 4matic is only the plug. WOW!

· Registered
15 ML 250 BlueTec
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved! How weird. I do have a 4matic, so that would make sense. But really, why would a 4matic owner not want to check his oil level?

Thanks again,

Boris

· Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,994 Posts
first of all, read your manual.

perf. service on time comes on when the car is not at the correct temperature or the reading otherwise cannot be taken.

Pour your 8.5qts in there and be done with it.

· Premium Member
2002 S500, 1984 500SEL
473 Posts
first of all, read your manual.

perf. service on time comes on when the car is not at the correct temperature or the reading otherwise cannot be taken.

Pour your 8.5qts in there and be done with it.
Perhaps in a situation where the engine oil is drained, but in this situation the OP is using a vacuum system and there could be residual oil in the pan. I'm not comfortable with just dumping in 8.5 quarts and driving away without physical verification of the level.

· Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,994 Posts
Perhaps in a situation where the engine oil is drained, but in this situation the OP is using a vacuum system and there could be residual oil in the pan. I'm not comfortable with just dumping in 8.5 quarts and driving away without physical verification of the level.
semantics. Both ways remove similar amounts of oil.

Even better, since most vacuum systems pull the oil into a graduated tank, just pour the same amount of oil in that you removed.

The dash electronic system works fine, but I hardly ever check mine.

· Registered
46 Posts
If you really want the "stick" MB will sell you one-my 2000 has a real one while the 06 has the plug. However, the stick on the 2000 gives an accurate reading on the 06. Buy one for the 2000 and you can use it to check on the plug model. Note, this is even though my 2000 is a 430 and the 06 is a 500.

· Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
304 Posts
my 2003 S 500 non 4Matic has the oil dipstick.

I broke the handle of the original because it was brittle and the parts guy at the dealer stated :"You don't have an oil dipstick for the engine."
I said:"Maybe you want to reconsider? i know i don't have a dipstick for the transmission, but i know for sure i have one for the engine, since i just broke the handle, and i can bring it in so you can see it, or i can invite to come outside so you can see for yourself!"

Needles to say he turned red, mumbled something and went back to his little computer and said:" It's $13 and i can have it here tomorrow."

Now, since one of the previous posts stated W220 will fit W221 model, just call in and order one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.