Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Got this somewhat elusive problem.

Occasionally after shifting to Drive or Reverse, the vehicle stands still & doesn't move till I give it some gas.

There are no stored codes after scanning.

What could be causing this?

Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold馃槩 2013 ML500,馃榿 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
Low fluid level is a possibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #3
Transmission fluid is at the correct level engine running, shifter in P also when in N.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Dramos
What a lot of folks do not realize is the selector is a glorified very large switch. There is no mechanical linkage.
You may know this, if so I am pointing is out for others who do not.

When this happens are you getting the "D" or "R" appearing on the instrument cluster?
Have you or someone else, spilled any beverage in that area off late?

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #5
Display on the IC is as normal (D, 4-3-2-1, R, N). No history of any spill on the shifter area.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
The ML knows what gear it should be in. That info is not getting to the transmission, I would check the transmission pin plug, cable. See if it is wet with fluid or starting to leak.
Also the conductor plate contacts could be starting to fail rev the engine the vibration causes contact to be made?

If you start in 1 does the same issue occur?

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Display on the IC is as normal (D, 4-3-2-1, R, N). No history of any spill on the shifter area.
Hook up scanner go to ETC Actual Values look for section that displays target gear, actual gear.

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #8
Hook up scanner go to ETC Actual Values look for section that displays target gear, actual gear.
Hello Witek,

Autel MD802 doesn't have that section but every thing under live data in Transmission & ESM sections shows things working normally.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Hello Witek,

Autel MD802 doesn't have that section but every thing under live data in Transmission & ESM sections shows things working normally.
Hmmm,

Control units > Drive > Transmission > Live data >Speeds.

IMG_20200208_125213.jpg IMG_20200208_125200.jpg IMG_20200208_125146.jpg IMG_20200208_124934.jpg

Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
Occasionally after shifting to Drive or Reverse, the vehicle stands still & doesn't move till I give it some gas.
When? If the vehicle is on a slight incline?

Amos, how about a YouTube video of this problem please? Description is vague.

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #11
DrX what I meant is........
If vehicle is started on a level surface( i.e 0掳 inclination), parking brake released, foot on brake & shifter moved from P to D, it is expected that after taking off foot from brake vehicle should move without hitting the throttle. Most times the vehicle moves, other times it doesn't till I give it some throttle.
I have checked that the {{P}} is disengaged & that there is nothing obstructing the tires on the outside.

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Witek,

Can't find Live Data under Transmission menu.

Did I miss an update or something?

Registered
Dallas, Texas
Hello Witek,

Can't find Live Data under Transmission menu.

Did I miss an update or something?
Maybe Autel does not support live data on your ETC version. It does not on my E320.

Is transmission shifting normal otherwise? No slips no jolts? When was last time has pan off?

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe Autel does not support live data on your ETC version. It does not on my E320.

Is transmission shifting normal otherwise? No slips no jolts? When was last time has pan off?
Transmission shifts normally.

Had pan off about a year ago for the first ever Transmission fluid change.
No metal shavings or anything suspicious.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Hello all,

Got this somewhat elusive problem.

There are no stored codes after scanning.

What could be causing this?
Dramos
Just had a thought on this when the issue pops up are you getting moment on your tach? What is it doing when this occurs?

Registered
2000 ML320 LHD
Discussion Starter #16
Wallyo,

The tachy doesn't behave any different from normal.
No dash anomaly, no strange noise, nothing else of note.

Should I take down the pan again?

I've never ever touched the 13 pin connector area because I 'supposedly didn't want to fix what's not broken.' No sign of transmission oil leakage or shortage anywhere.

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Should I take down the pan again ?
I think till the problem is identified leave the pan alone for now. Other wise your chasing wind mills.
My thinking was if the tach was weird, incorrect RPMs not registered or misread then maybe the trans was getting misinformation

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
Dramos
I am hoping this is not your issue but in another post you were talking about brittle plastic, I saw this which had info that covered 3 different posts so far.
I have heard of it happening on MLs so it is worth a look, through your P/R is engaging and in this it talks of not engaging at all, you may have the start of the issue.

The car will not move at all, when in Drive or Reverse.

Do you hear a whine? In that case, you may have serious transmission problems. Some of the E-Classes and the CLK-Class and maybe other models had defective radiators. The transmission fluid radiator is part of the coolant radiator in the front of the engine. Even though the coolant and the transmission are running in the same radiator to be cooled they have separate chambers. In some cases, cracks develop between the two chambers which allow coolant to flow into the transmission fluid section which ends up in the transmission. The glycol entering the transmission will destroy it. This is happening primarily in cars with Valeo radiators. If you had this problem and replaced the transmission, you MUST replace the radiator as well. You will need another transmission very soon otherwise.

Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
I've never ever touched the 13 pin connector area because I 'supposedly didn't want to fix what's not broken.' No sign of transmission oil leakage or shortage anywhere.
When the 13 pin connector leaks, there is no visible sign outside until it's severe. This is the first thing that should be check when there is ANY problem with the 722.6. Easy to do, flip lever down and pull plug out.

Do the easy things first!

Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
When the 13 pin connector leaks, there is no visible sign outside until it's severe. This is the first thing that should be check when there is ANY problem with the 722.6. Easy to do, flip lever down and pull plug out.

Do the easy things first!
Disagree a bit the very first thing to check is always fluid level.
He has done that. But he did not mention that he looked for cross contamination. in other threads he mentioned several
plastic parts that are degrading that's why I mentioned the radiator.

The 2 issues with the 13 pin connector are:

1. One of the pins has been known to break off.

2. leaking fluid, which on some models has been known to migrate up the harness to the module on some cars, even when the module is in the engine bay soaking it in transmission fluid. Have not heard of that on an ML.

He could remove the connector but it is kind of a damn if you do damn if you don't situation. It may be just fine, pull it and you can cause a leak or break a pin when pulling it.
Also a connector could be just fine and the issue could be at the conductor plate itself where the socket is wired in to the plate ( The board itself cracks)

Dramos if you do want to inspect it I would clean it as well as you can, with what ever electrical contact cleaner you can get ahold of. get as much dirt and oils off of it that you can then when pulling it try and pull as straight as you can not to damage any pins. If all looks well again clean plug and socket as well as you can and reinsert.

In Dramos case the car is shifting just fine as I understand it. It is the initial park to drive or reverse that is causing issue. He is not in limp mode.
So what are all the issues that can cause that delay?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts