Discussion Starter #1
We have just heard in the UK that no more 129 keys are available

We have also heard of no more front blinkers some months back

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
We have just heard in the UK that no more 129 keys are available

We have also heard of no more front blinkers some months back
remote key fobs, or keys ?? I'd be suprised if no more regular keys are available, and the key for the fobs for at least through 97 can be cut by any locksmith. It's the chip in the remote that must still be kept.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the complete key fobs that are no longer sold, without the old key or the eprom being good there is no way to copy anything.

If you lose your key thats it, no more.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,212 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to put down the locksmiths and Indies....they can still make keys for it.

I know I can.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be so quick to put down the locksmiths and Indies....they can still make keys for it.

I know I can.
You cannot make a late remote key, the blade is easy, if you lost your key there is nothing to copy

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I know when I ordered an extra electronic key for my 96 3 years ago I was told at the dealer that they had 190 left. And I suspect that was for not just for SLs but any 1996 USA Mercedes.

I suspect different years have different requirements.

One thing is certain. As time goes on we're going to have to get more creative as to parts replenishment.

I would think that a conventional key can still be ordered by the VIN as any other Mercedes can. Had a friend with a pagoda and lost his only set of car keys. He gives the dealer the Vin and a few days later has a complete set of four keys just as it came from the factory 50 years earlier.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes he can and I can give you address of shop in Poland that will do it while you wait.
Somehow many of you are missing the boat on this, so your car is in the USA or say the UK and you lost your complete key, how are you going to get the car to Poland.

·
Registered
35,640 Posts
Wait a minute. Who missed the boat?
Where original post says about loosing all keys?
All the shop needs to make new key is ignition switch. Few minutes of removal on digital ignition.
This has been done before FYI.
Beside, you can buy replacement ignition switch with 2 keys on ebay for less than $100.
That might not apply to all models, but is covered.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait a minute. Who missed the boat?
Where original post says about loosing all keys?
All the shop needs to make new key is ignition switch. Few minutes of removal on digital ignition.
This has been done before FYI.
Beside, you can buy replacement ignition switch with 2 keys on ebay for less than $100.
That might not apply to all models, but is covered.
I do know that a EIS switch and the plastic keys can be fixed, but the flip out key is a little different.

Second hand keys from Ebay will run out, no one is making new ones, plus most secondhand keys are in a poor condition as the cases spit open easily. Once glued up the cases have to be replaced.

I do repair keys in the UK, and have fixed a couple of hundred.

With the later 129 where the windows drop are not easy to force open to get in the car.

Would you please pass on all this good information as to where these keys/switches can be fixed please and I can pass the good news on:smile:smile

·
Registered
35,640 Posts

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
35,640 Posts
It is much for me.
One of my key/remote has good blade, but spring and button are broken, while the case show pretty bad wear.
Remote doesn't work, but the board is there, so even board might be harder to repair, for 6 bucks I will have new case with new switch mechanism.
New case is due for delivery today, so I will see.

·
6,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The flip out key is an odd ball, it can lose its coding, but still lights the LED Not sure if the reason is the Xtal has changed because key dropped.

It is a pretty poor show that Mercedes have stopped doing a new key as so many 129's still running around. We have a man in the UK working on the problem, he is good and repairs all the EIS switches to the trade

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
"Somehow many of you are missing the boat on this, so your car is in the USA or say the UK and you lost your complete key, how are you going to get the car to Poland."

Are you saying that giving the factory your vehicle identification number you can't even have a conventional key made?

I did pose this question to my dealer. Then if you had no keys how would you order a key? They do demand proof of ownership such as your car registration and your drivers license with a picture ID. Then when you pick up the keys they want you to bring the car even if you have to tow it

It is both proof that you have the car in your possession and to test the key.

But I cannot believe that you can't get even a simple conventional key made

Then if you are in Europe drive it to Poland if you want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think there are multiple problems that stem from no more factory keys being made (if that's true), which is why it's such a pity if it IS true. Some problems have answers, some don't, so I think some members above who are saying "well [X] is an easy fix" are forgetting about problem [Y]:

1) Physical key

2) Board/circuitry to actually remotely unlock your car and deactivate the alarm

3) A case to put it all in and operate the remote functions.

All of these have some solutions, otherwise MB wouldn't stop making them. But the question is whether you find having to tow your car 2x to physically check the VIN to a dealer (which is their confirmed and well-known procedure for having a key made) acceptable, along with the other impractical solutions proposed. And that's assuming a dealer can make you a fob in the first place.

If this alone is the result of not making remote keys available, I hope none of our EISs go bad - imagine the trouble that entails!

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
About this Discussion
169 Replies
43 Participants
khomer2
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing