I just bought a TomTom XL350TM GPS navigator on sale at Best Buy for US$99 today. It is 10x better than my Mercedes GPS unit. Here are a few features of the TomTom:
1. Complete coverage, not the lame partial coverage on my CD-based MB system.
2. Live traffic reports. I tried it and it really works.
3. Red light camera alerts. Wow! This alone is worth the price.
4. Free lifetime map upgrades. Mercedes stopped CD map upgrades in 2004.
5. Auto-zooming per vehicle speed. Nice.
6. It fits in my pocket so I can take it with me for other purposes. Can run on internal battery for three hours.
7. You can buy foreign maps for it if you travel.
8. All solid state with USB port and slick desktop software app.
I wouldn't put a dime into fixing the MB factory navigation system, rather, I would just attach this TomTom unit somewhere on my dash. I liked the TomTom unit so much that I bought a second unit for a family member.
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!