Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SE
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finished prepping the car at dusk last night for Sunday's Deutsche Marque Concours, and when moving it inside noticed neither the L or R low beams came on. Highs, fogs, running lights, turn and side markers all working.
I haven't been fiddling about with the dash, internal fusebox, lights, etc.
Checked the fuse box - separate fuses for L low beam & R low beam + fogs, and fogs shine brightly. Might there be a relay involved (hopefully one under hood I could swap to confirm operation, if relay IS acting up)?
TIA!

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I'm pretty sure its the fuse. I had the same thing the other day with my 190E... the right headlight was not lit, but was lit when i put on high beams. Fuse "looked" good, but wasn't making fill contact. Took it out, put a new one in.. and problem solved.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply!
The R & L low beams are on separate fuses. The R low beam fuse also powers the fogs, and they are working. I did change out fuses to see if that was the problem - no love...

·
Registered
1985 380SE
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the chance of both low beam bulbs burning out simultaneously quite slim, but it is a possibility! Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
I had this problem on my 190e. Problem was the combo switch. Even though I could push/pull the lever forwards and backwards, only the high beams worked. A little plastic piece inside the switch was broken and would not activate the low beams anymore. A new switch fixed the problem.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts