Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm trying to get any info I can on the 450SL I just purchased. I do not have ANY info on what has been done on the car. The car had been parked for about 17 years, and someone did the oil change, new fuel, etc. to get it running well. I don't know who that was, and cannot get the info from the dealer I bought the car from.
I went to my local MB dealer yesterday and had him run the VIN through the system. He stated that MBUSA has no history on that VIN! The car is a 1977 with 130K miles on it. When I flushed the brakes the other day, I did look at the underside. Everything is tight, brake pads are in almost new shape, but old, and steering suspension is tight. My big thing is any recalls that may be missing from years ago.
Does anyone know of a way to find any info through a "back door" or another source? This is a USA, California Spec. Vehicle that I bought from Washington State. I'm wondering if it could have been sold in Canada, and if so, can I get some info from there?
Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
234 Posts
I think an MB dealer would only have info if they worked on the vehicle and maybe if another MB dealer did (but not sure there). My local dealer was at least able to confirm that the subframe recall was done in 1980.

There was a cruise control recall but all they did when they ran out of parts was to disable it.

The MB classic center will give you the data card for your car showing the build details but they charge $150 for it. There may be one hidden in your car in various places - e.g. under the jack plastic cover, under the console.

Your best bet is to assume all fluids and filters need changing and the timing chain needs replacing. You should look at the color of the chain guides before starting the engine again. Also I recommend you check the state of the fuel hoses in the engine bay. If they are rotten they can leak fuel and cause an engine fire.

Andy

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,884 Posts
There are two recalls on your '77. Dealer should have been able to pull up the info.

EGv107 Sticky lists the recalls. You can verify the subframe work has been done. The same sticky shows repairs that you look for.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
28 Posts
I had a car that unknown to us started in Canada and shipped to the US in its first 6 months of life. US had no record. MB Canada did.

·
Registered
1998 ML320, 1975 280C
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I'll need to wait for it to warm up again before I try and get under the car.
rowdie, I'll look at the sticky later today and see what I can look for, or need to do.
ahetzel, who in Canada did you contact for info?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts