Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the weathers been chilly here in so-cal so i turned the climate control dial to the red to get some heat

now i know in this system, by doing this it usually sends the air to the side vients, top under window vent and under the dash. I left the button on EC as i usually do, and after a few minutes it got nice an toasty in the car,
but i put my hand back on the rear vent in the center and the air was still cool ./cold coming out of it,

i thought it should be matching the front temp?

i ask because i want to put my kids in the back sometimes but not if its cold

wierd, my gmc denali is doing the exact same thing. hmmm

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Cold air only from rear vent. Heat comes from under the front seats. Shut off the rear vent to keep the cold air out.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know, but i want some warm air in the rear, thats my issue

·
SuperModerator
13,270 Posts
Warm air will only come from under the seats into the rear footwells. Unless u have the twin wheel climate version.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silly design, i say

·
SuperModerator
13,270 Posts
It is a bit silly. On the twin wheel climate version you can have heated air from that rear centre vent. Dont know why they made it be different.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
that is goofy as hell, probably just a ploy to get people to pay for the dual zone climate control and or heated rear seats.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
AFAIK there is always only fresh air in the center console, no matter what climate system installed.

The big question is, how to get the passengers warmed without blowing hot and dried out air in their face? There is also no warm air coming out from the center of the dashboard. Think about that!

Its a very different problem than in the front. You don´t need to defreeze a windscreen or door screens, just getting it warmed. The first thing most people getting cold are their feet! If your feet are warm, you can stay out in winter for a long time. but if they freeze, you don´t feel good. So the first things that have to be warmed up, are your feet! Thats why the hot air is sent through the footwells. From there out air distributes itself in the back area to warm up everywhere.

A Mercedes Benz is a very well engineered car - in every detail ;)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
actually that does make a lot of sense when you put it that way. My last car was real tiny and had a lot of vents, and all of them blowing on hot was nice sometimes, but did dry out your face and eyes. I think that's probably the most thought I've ever seen put into a car of my own.

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
AFAIK there is always only fresh air in the center console, no matter what climate system installed.

The big question is, how to get the passengers warmed without blowing hot and dried out air in their face? There is also no warm air coming out from the center of the dashboard. Think about that!

Its a very different problem than in the front. You don´t need to defreeze a windscreen or door screens, just getting it warmed. The first thing most people getting cold are their feet! If your feet are warm, you can stay out in winter for a long time. but if they freeze, you don´t feel good. So the first things that have to be warmed up, are your feet! Thats why the hot air is sent through the footwells. From there out air distributes itself in the back area to warm up everywhere.

A Mercedes Benz is a very well engineered car - in every detail ;)
no, you do get warm air from the center rear with the dual wheel system (which was a cheaper option than the push button).

I have previously posted the pages from the car handbook - but we have this debate every year or so...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Smoking Section

Who else remembers flying in the 1980's and before, when smoking was widely allowed on commercial aircraft?

It makes sense to me that in the 1980's when the climate control system was designed for a vehicle with three ashtrays with working lighters (and no cup holders) that the engineers would have been motivated to provide a constant supply of cool, fresh air to the cabin. :)

·
SuperModerator
13,270 Posts
It is well engineered but it took me a while to get the hang of. Its actually really nice once you realise how to use it.
Its meant to be diffused heat, radiating rather than being blown onto people.
Being out in minus 12 degrees C etc last year made me realise how nice it how everything is gently radiating. The front doors, the front floors due to the wide flat ducts leading to the rear footwells, the whole centre console area radiates due to the duct going to the rear centre vent, the carpeted knee bolster areas are all warm too due to the warm air coming out in ducts via there. Its actually very nice and draught free, and controls itself really nicely. In the back, those footwell vents seem to work really quickly according to passengers in cold weather.

Not sure about the single wheel version, havent experienced it. Just know it was more expensive and fully automatic. But it doesnt have the dual zone possibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts