Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190d German Cockroach 2.2 M5 395k miles 2004 C240 Wagon Non-4-matic
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to get any heat going in the footwell when the heater is on....is this a heater box issue and can I access it from the engine compartment by removing the wiper motor? Do I have to remove the dash?

Also, have the infamous "air from side vents but not center vents". Vacuum pods?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1984 280SEL (w126)-sold, 1993 300TE (w124)-sold, 1996 C36 AMG (w202)-sold, 2006 E350 (w211) wagon
57 Posts
i have a similar issue to my 1993 300TE - just started last week and i searched the forum for answers ... among them ....

vacuum testing the pods that controls the air flow to verify the damaged pod -

from what i read so far, the footwell vacuum pod is located behind the ac switch panel. removal of the radio and switch panel is needed to get to the footwell pod.
dealer lists the footwell pod at around $40 + ....

i attached the ALLDATA procedure to replace the footwell pod ....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,461 Posts
Yes, jose is right. There *is* a flap to direct airflow to the footwells and it is located behind the radio. This one is relatively easy to get at compared to the ones *forward* of the HVAC box.
The problem with the OP's car could be the pod connected to the flap or even the solenoid that controls airflow from the pod. Check the pod with a Mityvac or similar tool and proceed from there.
As for airflow from the center vents, well, that has been discussed many times.
Hot air should *not* come from the center outlet except when the systme is transitioning from one mode to another. Most people don't like hot air blowing on their faces (or cold air blowing on their feet) and the system is designed to prevent that.

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Center vents only work with cold air to cool air. Yes it can be a vacuum pod but also check the hose connections as they crack and leak. The one behind the radio is the worst culprit I have seen. Once its broken it falls in then you uhhhh out of luck.

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
245 Posts
For those of you out there that see this comment, I posted a long video on how to remove the W124 dash and how to replace the vacuum actuator pods for the climate control.

Just trying to spread the word. Note that there are only 2 PN's left of the 6 PN's that are available from Mercedes or aftermarket. On the dual diaphgram pods you can buy one of the two pods that are available, remove their arms (white plastic just snaps it on), and you can take off the old arm from the old pod and transfer it to the new pod. NOTE: This trick only works on the dual diaphgram pods. Last resort you can get just the rubber diaphgram inside the pod that you can replace at a place called Performance Analysis in Tennessee, although you can't order on their website. You have to call them. Their part numbers for the two different diaphgrams are 2010 and 2020. On the W124 and W126, you can use one of their diaphgrams on the "center" pod, which is a single diaphragm. They are inexpensive, not sure how long they will be in business from the conversation I had with them. . Get a bunch and store them the rest of your life!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts