Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, ive only had my 99 v230 early dash for about 3 weeks now but the fuel gauge says empty no matter how much fuel is in the tank, when i turn the ignition on the needle moves from below zero to zero and the warning lamp comes on for aprox 3 seconds and then goes off but the lamp does not come on before you run out of fuel as i have found out 3 times now very frustrating as i dont want to keep a full tank of fuel all the time, ive had the tank down and there are 4 wires a thick red/yellow 12v for 3 seconds then a constant 4v, a thick brown earth, a thin blue and black and a thin brown. does anybody know what to short to test the dash gauge as dont want to replace the sender if the sender is not faulty also does anybody have a dash cluster wireing diagram?

·
Registered
2000 108CDI, 2007 120 CDI long, Suzuki K5 GSXR track bike, 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R
1,423 Posts
Hi ya, you are after the blue/black and the thin brown according to the wiring diagram

Martin

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which one can i short to earth to see if the gauge moves at the dash end and does the thin blue black go all the way to the dash cluster without a colour change? if it does change colour at the dash end what colour is it so i can fault test the dash cluster if shorting at the tank end fails? regards Richard

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The wiring diagram shows both wires going all the way to the dash cluster but its not the best wiring diagram that i have ever seen but getting wiring diagrams is like searching for rocking horse s**t

Martin

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so now im confused!!!!!! I have tested the dash cluster by earthing out the blue/black wire and low and behold the low fuel lamp comes on and the gauge reads full, super the dash works!! right back under the motor and i do the same by earthing out the blue/black wire but nothing on the dash, brain wave it must be a brake in the wire???? multi meter out ant there is no connection from the tank to the dash so i have run a new cable from the sender to the dash but now ive got a constant fuel warning lamp and fuel reading zero, ive just been and put £15 in fuel in to see if it was low or not but the warning lamp is still lit!!! any one got any ideas?????

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Knackered fuel sender unit would be my guess, take it out and see if it works

·
Registered
v230
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok all i have done is run another wire alongside the blue/black as im assuming there was a break in the wire because when i earth it out at dash end the gauge reads full but if i earth out at the tank end the gauge does nothing, which to me says there is a damaged wire ie the blue/black, if i test the the blue/black with my multimeter the display does not read zero as it does when i put touch both wires together on my multimeter indicating a circuit.
so in short how can replacing what looks to be a broken wire point towards a dodgy sender, i dont have the time to take my tank down to test the sender then refit and take down again at a later date to replace as it is in daily use with our disabled child.
could running the second wire be causing the increased voltage to light the fuel warning lamp?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts