Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300 TD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled it so it would be at level. Car was sitting over 10 years and slowly but surely I am putting it back together, but original owner paid bundles to keep this beaut running great so everything just needed to stretch if you will.

The SLS had low fluid - went to dealership and filled. Car seems to still be sitting a tad low in my opinion (drive SUPER! but I think it could be higher)...

I don't see the return on top feeding the fluid in anymore ( I thought I did but maybe that was a dream because I insist on working with the wagon in Texas Heat!)

I didn't see anything specific on fluid with the sls search, so I thought I'd ask.

No leaks anywhere!

Should I replace pump?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300TD
871 Posts
If the fluid was low enough for the pump to draw in air I would inspect the pumps internals for damage. I would also bleed the system from the bleed valve on the SLS valve. The SLS valve control rod may simply need adjusting. I wouldn't replace the pump but instead test its output of fluid and see if its working properly. The pumps do not seem to fail often. I would also disconnect the high pressure hydraulic input line that goes to the SLS valve, from the pump, in the rear to be sure the fluid is making it there. Then you can see if its making it back to the hydraulic reservoir from the valve. If everything was okay at this point I would see why the SLS valve was not diverting oil to the accumulators and struts. However, I still feel the SLS valve control rod may simply need adjusting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts