Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 230 Previous 200 & AMG 32,
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now close to end of 2nd year of opting for an extended warranty. This year was real expensive at $1800 as it was the MB service plus, basically covers everything inc servicing bar tyres, even covers MOT.

I'm no mechanic but was tempted not to renew this year.

However just got an eye watering $7,000 + dealer estimate for work on my 2003 230 38k miles:-

Amongst other things also:-
New brakes all round.
New supercharger (old one noisy).
Boot seal adjustment.
New wiring loom due to oil leakage triggering sensor light.
MOT
Wipers

All coverd thankfully. Hoping to squeeze my main service in at no cost before contract ends that would have been another $1400.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now the ECU is to be replaced along with te contaminated wiring loom another $2,000! up to almost $10,000 dollars.

Anyone wanting their car in top condition with mid aged engines should seriously think about a good quality warranty, the engine may be bullet proof but its all those other things that soon mount up expensively.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
With the cost of operation of your car, it would seem that either your car is a "lemon" or the dealer has found a "soft touch".
For a car that is only 5 years old, repair costs in the range of $11,000 over a two year period are.......... well let's just say excessive would be an understatment.

What kind of mileage do you have on the car?

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
RIP OFF

M8 I would go to an indy..Ask on here someone may have a sc for you or know whats up with yours, Why the fcuk would it need new brakes, I could see disks, but calipers, Do your brakes feel good ?

Where are you in england ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Bazzle and Bruce,

I only have 39k warranted miles with full MB history and one previous owner, however I have pushed this car real hard in the past. Maybe catching up with me?

I replaced front pads only last July so suprised to be told both sets need replacing, also seemd weird front discs needed replacing when sevice book indicates the rear discs should be replaced about this mileage, though I'm not complaining "papa" as all bills covered under my MB service plus warranty. I guess these are hard times in UK with credit crunch, maybe dealers checking for work with "fine tooth comb". Just mighty releived I'm not paying fo all this myself.

Trouble is it took me an age and 2 slk's before finding this colour combination I really love ( dark amber red metallic with siam black & beige leather with euycaliptus wood) so real reluctant to let her go.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Hi Bazzle and Bruce,

I only have 39k warranted miles with full MB history and one previous owner; however I have pushed this car real hard in the past. Maybe catching up with me?

I replaced front pads only last July so surprised to be told both sets need replacing, also seemed weird front discs needed replacing when service book indicates the rear discs should be replaced about this mileage, though I'm not complaining "papa" as all bills covered under my MB service plus warranty. I guess these are hard times in UK with credit crunch, maybe dealers checking for work with "fine tooth comb". Just mighty relieved I'm not paying for all this myself.

Trouble is it took me an age and 2 SLK’s before finding this colour combination I really love (dark amber red metallic with Siam black & beige leather with eucalyptus wood) so real reluctant to let her go.
As I said before, it would appear that the dealership has found a soft touch, and they are capitalizing on it. To have to change out brake pads in one year or less is odd to say the least. If you have an aftermarket warranty, you’re covered, but you can bet that it won’t be renewed in the future with costs like that.
I doubt that you could be as “hard” on your car as I am, since I have had at least 8 track days and 3 years worth of autocross seasons on the brakes, and I still have the original discs, and since I replaced the pads with Porterfield R4S shortly after the car was bought, I think I can say I still have the original pads as well.
That dealer isn’t going over anything with a “fine tooth comb”, they are out there trying to hose down the public, and since your not as conversant with the mechanics of the car as some others might be, they are making as much hay as they can off of you.

That kind of thing tends to upset me, even though I have nothing to do with it…. :mad:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bruce - I couldn't agree more regarding pads and you may be right about other works. However to be fair and I don't love MB dealers, there were indications other work needed doing, the noisy supercharger has been an issue with me and my dealer for 12 months and been trying to tell my dealer something was wrong, only after threatning to write to MB UK when car taken in this time did they take it seriously (I hadn't wanted a replacement supercharger bill if this goes out of warranty). The engine emissions light appearing on the dash has led to the loom and ECU replacement so again some evidence there that work was necessary maybe bad timing for Daimler Crysler but good for me all this is covered.

Regarding soft touch I'm not sure who your referring to? Makes no difference to me as I'm not being billed. Daimler Crysler underwrites this service plus policy so its them that agreed to meet all bills and the dealer has to keep all replaced parts for a minimum period in case of inspection. I can't see them refusing to renew my warranty as car has been under factory warranty and MB warranty from new, and they can't up the price because MB warranties are set prices.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Bruce - I couldn't agree more regarding pads and you may be right about other works. However to be fair and I don't love MB dealers, there were indications other work needed doing, the noisy supercharger has been an issue with me and my dealer for 12 months and been trying to tell my dealer something was wrong, only after threatening to write to MB UK when car taken in this time did they take it seriously (I hadn't wanted a replacement supercharger bill if this goes out of warranty). The engine emissions light appearing on the dash has led to the loom and ECU replacement so again some evidence there that work was necessary maybe bad timing for Daimler Chrysler but good for me all this is covered.

There may very well be some legitimate problems that need to be fixed with you car, that is something that from this distance I certainly couldn't question. There is just as certainly some apparent padding of the bill that the dealer is doing, and the brakes MAY be part of that padding, but to have bills that total what you have had over the last two years tend to show someone is "milking" the insurance company. If Mercedes is picking up the tab, it serves them right; they should monitor their dealers better. I agree, good for you…..

Regarding soft touch I'm not sure who you’re referring to? Makes no difference to me as I'm not being billed. Daimler Chrysler underwrites this service plus policy so it’s them that agreed to meet all bills and the dealer has to keep all replaced parts for a minimum period in case of inspection. I can't see them refusing to renew my warranty as car has been under factory warranty and MB warranty from new, and they can't up the price because MB warranties are set prices.

Well, I’m referring to you, but NOT in a derogatory sense. The warranty company is picking up the tab, so it is not your concern, and that is as it should be. They (the dealer) may eventually have to answer to somebody unless they have an agreement of paying a standard repair fee rather then the bill that you may see.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Agree Bruce that there is some padding to the bill as the front brake pads would suggest, can't say too much more because I know the dealer looks at your site ;-0.

Hadn't thought for one moment you would have made a derogetory comment Bruce, your far to polite, just pointing out the service plus contract was made directly between me and Daimler Crysler UK LTD.

I think you are right that the bill quoted would be reduced in some way by Daimler Crysler. I guess it sounds good for dealer to quote full price for the customer as its likely to sell more warranties.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Agree Bruce that there is some padding to the bill as the front brake pads would suggest, can't say too much more because I know the dealer looks at your site ;-0.

Hardly my site, it's YOUR site, yours and all those that come here.I'm only the moderator, and that's a fun job (mostly). :D

Hadn't thought for one moment you would have made a derogetory comment Bruce, your far to polite, just pointing out the service plus contract was made directly between me and Daimler Crysler UK LTD.

That's all...

I think you are right that the bill quoted would be reduced in some way by Daimler Crysler. I guess it sounds good for dealer to quote full price for the customer as its likely to sell more warranties.

That is an excellent point, and probably a strong point on selling another years warranty isn't it... :)
;) ;) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts