Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E 1991 300E 2000 S430 2006 SLK55 AMG
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New battery, Everything powers up, Radiator fan runs and no starter engagement. I have the car up on 4 jack stands. I reach through the window and turn the key and no crank. Any tips on where to start looking?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
I could be way off on this but, doesn't the brake pedal need to be depressed for the engine to crank?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
^Chuckle

·
Registered
1 Posts
No crank

I would check the stater, use a hammer tap on the starter the try to start the car if it starts your starter's brush is gone or you could try to supply 12 volts to the starter and see if it crank, pain in the butt when our wheel is not running, hope this help

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be way off on this but, doesn't the brake pedal need to be depressed for the engine to crank?
Klaus thanks for the try but you are thinking about taking it out of park. the foot on the brake when you start is just a habbit, it is mandatory for shifting out of park. I did try starting in neutral and play with the shifter to rule out a tempermental neutral safety switch.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2001 S500
58 Posts
How's the CPS, has it been changed? What about the relay? I had a bad relay which would prevent the car from starting. I assume your car worked fine before.

·
Registered
01 S320 & 99 C240 Sport Wagon
83 Posts
Dear Paul,

Starting a new thread concerning the same car with the same problem(s) after all that's been said and done on the previous one, is not going to solve your problem(s).

Further, by just stating "car doesn't crank" without giving anyone any other information is IMHO, not very "honest".

Many members including extremely experienced full-time professionals have already tried to assist you on this, ignoring all the information and trouble-shooting advice is an insult to those that have tried to assist you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Dear Paul,

Starting a new thread concerning the same car with the same problem(s) after all that's been said and done on the previous one, is not going to solve your problem(s).

Further, by just stating "car doesn't crank" without giving anyone any other information is IMHO, not very "honest".

Many members including extremely experienced full-time professionals have already tried to assist you on this, ignoring all the information and trouble-shooting advice is an insult to those that have tried to assist you.

Good luck.
WOW! Where do I begin? Here is my thinking. I originally posted a thread about a car that I acquired that had been sitting for years. My knowledge about the past of this car was what someone said he thought someone else said the old 2nd owner said. Not a very precise history but what can you do. I was given some great advice from a couple of knowledgeable people and I felt an obligation to not just let the thread die, but to update what happened when I changed the gas tank and filter.
Rather than continue a thread that already was rather long and now not titled to reference the new problems I was encountering, I started a thread that was specific to the problem I was working on. The thread was started at the same time and day as my follow up to the original thread. It was specific to what I knew at the time as it relates to this vehicle. I didn’t speculate as to what may, or may not have been done to this vehicle in the past. I certainly was not trying to be dishonest. I simply don’t know what was done, other than what others have speculated. Some people replied to the follow up to the original thread and others replied to the new thread.
I certainly have not ignored any suggestion or advice that has been given. I run 2 businesses and can’t crawl under the car whenever a new suggestion is offered. It doesn’t mean that I disrespect or ignore any of the advice given. As a matter of fact it frustrates me not being able to check out any advice offered immediately! That of course doesn’t mean that I will not try out the suggestions and get back to the thread with my findings.
If I have offended anyone in any way I do apologize, as it was not my intention.

MwC240Sport, Calling me dishonest is just wrong. IMHO, you are a Sanctimonious (DELETED). Don't lecture me again.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How's the CPS, has it been changed? What about the relay? I had a bad relay which would prevent the car from starting. I assume your car worked fine before.
I don't know if the CPS has ever been changed. Do you know where the relay you are refering to is located?

thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
Normally, a defective CPS will let you start the car when cold then the engine dies once warms up. This opinion based on my own experience and reading I've done on this forum.

MwC240Sport: I would not fault a member in any way who is trying to get his car going.

·
52,804 Posts
CPS? Gentlemen please do not make me laugh this early in my working day. If the engine does not crank then changing anything other than the EIS will not make it crank, understand?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CPS? Gentlemen please do not make me laugh this early in my working day. If the engine does not crank then changing anything other than the EIS will not make it crank, understand?
Eric, do you know how much a new EIS is?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
$565 for the part, $200 deposit for the green key (orange key), $40 for the rosette to remove the eis, $20 for the hooks to remove the instrument cluster

or $1300 at the dealer -just please don't ask why i know both

·
52,804 Posts
$565 for the part, $200 deposit for the green key (orange key), $40 for the rosette to remove the eis, $20 for the hooks to remove the instrument cluster

Looks about correct, except this is not a DIY job. Unless you are a skilled MB Tech of course.

·
52,804 Posts
Paul Pelusa :

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. ~William G. McAdoo

You don not DESERVE to be helped in any way, shape or form.
I do not think he was being dishonest, merely trying to keep himself on track and a thread that is too long gets confusing for the OP. So please gentlemen lets keep this thread on track, thank you both.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not think he was being dishonest, merely trying to keep himself on track and a thread that is too long gets confusing for the OP. So please gentlemen lets keep this thread on track, thank you both.
My pleasure:thumbsup:
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks, that puts it in perspective. Good thing I didn't pay much for the car;)
I won't ask, but I think we can read between the lines. As Eric says it's not a DIY job...

Thanks
Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts