Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm in need of some advice with a no connection issue on a 1998 e280 38pin diagnostic port.

As some might know that my car is stuck in limp mode, only second and reverse available. So far I have tried a iCarsoft MB v1 unit, a Launch x431 and a Delphi DS150e, all with there appropriate 38pin connector, without any luck. I'm unable to read modules or vehicle info.

I have checked all fuses, both sides as well as under the seat and along dash and they all okay. I have power on the 38pin connector but still nothing.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding this issue.

Regards
Cedric

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
5,757 Posts
Can you connect with the ECU using 38 pin connector adapter specific to the DS150e ?

I have that one and I can access the TCU, EIS, BAS, Instrument cluster , Restraints, and of course the ECU.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi MrB. The connector I have is the one that came with the Delphi, Im sure it is the correct one. The lights flash, it plays a bit of music and the relays click on and off. Im going to follow your post here and make my own one with the other plugs I have

And this seems to be your problem.

The proper adapter cable has ALL 16 OBD2 pins connected to appropriate pins mapped to 38 pin connector per the attached.

Based on the attached, I made my own cable. I had one of those cheap 3-wire adapter cables. I purchased a female OBD2 connector with a pigtail containing all 16 wires, and I removed the 38 pin connector, and soldered the pigtail to the 38 pin connector per the mapping. You need good soldering skills, a good soldering iron, and a steady hand. It worked with no problem. I also have the cable set from Amazon, and the MB cable adapter works too. The cable I bought has only the pins that are mapped to the OBD2 end, so it has missing pins which are unused anyway.

If you just want to access a specific module, like the Airbag (AB), all you need to do is to run 3 wires power (OBD2 pin 16), ground (OBD2 pins 4-5), and connect pin 13 (OBD2) to socket 30 at the 38 pin side. Then run the "Restraints " only.

This is a short term solution, but in the long term, either buy the proper cable set, or make your own if you can.

Does AB work ? For my car, I had the SRS light popping on briefly from time to time, I was able to read the code. The code was correct, but the text was not. The code indicated passenger child safety thingy, but the text said driver airbag squib. So, you should go with the actual code and check what it really means.
Pins in use on my 38 pin diagnostic port is as follows

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 , 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 20, and lastly 30. Your a bit different, obviously due to model and series.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,342 Posts
I have no problem with my Autel MD802 and using their adapter on my 99 E320 and 03 E320T. Critical part is the adapter. Must be compatible.....usually needs to be fully wired and with multiplexer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im at a loss for words with this one. I dont know where else to look for a solution

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, even the launch, with that huge black plug in 38pin adapter could work

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
If you bought the one with the cable set which of courser includes the 38 pin adapter cable, there is no need to make your own.

You need to be in the right mode. For example you select the Mercedes, E clsss, 1998, then module selection as petrol, then select your engine M112.XXX for 2.8 liter V6, then select engine button at the right bottom of the screen. You should info screen to advice to use the 38 pin connector. You select OK, then a new window opens and you should be able to read the codes from the ECU, clear them, and read live data. The same goes for the TCU. You select the gearbox, and so on. You should at least be able to read the ECU codes/ data. If not something is really wrong as you were able to read it with the other scanner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guy says the adapter cable I got is the 38pin one from the set. So it should work. What else could be wrong if it aint the cables?

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Without knowing what you are doing, it is difficult to guess. Are you using bluetooth or USB ?
Have you checked it the PC can talk to the test unit ? If you hear the clicks it should. Check the light colors and flashing on the unit. Different light sets mean different things. It is in the manual. If you hear warning tones, there is some connection issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im using the usb cable. When I click connect, it says something like connecting to unit, which it does, then it tried to connect using the J1850 bus, ISO15765. ISO9141 etc

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,342 Posts
guy says the adapter cable I got is the 38pin one from the set. So it should work. What else could be wrong if it aint the cables?
Can you post picture of your 38 pin adapter cable?

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
im using the usb cable. When I click connect, it says something like connecting to unit, which it does, then it tried to connect using the J1850 bus, ISO15765. ISO9141 etc
It obviously has connected to the atmosphere :)

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
The adapter is the correct type.
Make sure you turn off the ignition, then remove and re-insert the key and turn to position 2. Then plug the 38 pin adapter to the connector and start testing.

Sometimes if you leave the key in position 2 , the modules go to sleep.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will try that thanx. So its ignition off, remove key, re insert key, position 2 and then insert 38pi adapter?

If that fails, what can or should i check next

·
Premium Member
5,757 Posts
Make sure you are NOT in the OBD2 or EOBD mode. In that case, the system will try to connect using pin 7 of the OBD2 which is connected to the gear selector (pin 12) of the 38 pin adapter connector, and for your car, it is not accessible as it is NOT electronic.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts