Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the reports from the NY Auto Show, MB introduced the new E sedan and coupe as well as the ML Hybrid for the US. The E sedan includes a 250 BlueTec (4-cylinder - Yeah).

No mention of a C-class with this engine for the USA. Is MBUSA staffed by retards?

·
Registered
27 Posts
E 250 and c 250

I heard from a reliable MB sales source that both the E and C 250 diesels will be available very soon even here in California through the European delivery program which has not been the case in the past, not sure when these will be at USA dealers though...they get 40+ mpg...

·
Registered
1991 300 CE-24
872 Posts
Man, you hit my pain point with MB here. I posted this a while ago and got no promising replies.

Also, according to worldcarfans.com, the E250 Bluetec CDI was announced as a CONCEPT, which doesn't sound promising also.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
Easy, there, everybody.

The E diesel has been promised no later than the second quarter of 2010 [probably as a 2011 model]. This didn't come out at the NY show, but rather at the W212 E intro to the press, whose stories are appearing now in all the car magazines. What MB was careful NOT to say is exactly which diesel would be the one for the US market - the new 4 cyl, or the updated V-6. Thus the E250 Blue as a "concept"....they're not ready to make the announcement yet.

http://www.automobilemag.com/green/news/0904_2009_mercedes_benz_e250_bluetec_concept/index.html

For the C and GLK, my sources continue to say that we'll see diesel power for our market in the W204 chassis sometime before the middle of 2010, again, probably as 2011 models. Same question, though - 4 cylinders or 6? I'm a big fan of the new 4 cylinder diesel drivetrain, and given where CAFE is going, it's just about inevitable that we'll see it here by next year. This engine in a C would return an honest 40 US mpg, and still get you to 60 mph in less than 8 seconds. I for one don't need it any faster than that.

In sum, the 2010 lineup for the sedans will be all gasoline. After that, I think you'll see what many of us have been waiting for.....give it another 12-15 months.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new 250 diesel is a 4 cylinder

I have a brochure for the C and E 250 it is a 4 cylinder and states it goes 0 to 60 in 7 seconds...there will also be a 6...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Easy, there, everybody.

The E diesel has been promised no later than the second quarter of 2010 [probably as a 2011 model]. This didn't come out at the NY show, but rather at the W212 E intro to the press, whose stories are appearing now in all the car magazines. What MB was careful NOT to say is exactly which diesel would be the one for the US market - the new 4 cyl, or the updated V-6. Thus the E250 Blue as a "concept"....they're not ready to make the announcement yet.

2009 Mercedes Benz E250 Bluetec Concept - 2009 New York Auto Show Coverage, New car Reviews, Concept Cars - Automobile Magazine

For the C and GLK, my sources continue to say that we'll see diesel power for our market in the W204 chassis sometime before the middle of 2010, again, probably as 2011 models. Same question, though - 4 cylinders or 6? I'm a big fan of the new 4 cylinder diesel drivetrain, and given where CAFE is going, it's just about inevitable that we'll see it here by next year. This engine in a C would return an honest 40 US mpg, and still get you to 60 mph in less than 8 seconds. I for one don't need it any faster than that.

In sum, the 2010 lineup for the sedans will be all gasoline. After that, I think you'll see what many of us have been waiting for.....give it another 12-15 months.
40 mpg highway, I would not mind that at all. 8 seconds well I could get used to it.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,924 Posts
40 mpg, 7 secs to 60. are you not utterly amazed.

·
Registered
1991 300 CE-24
872 Posts
The guy I know @ MB dealership says that we should expect the w204 diesel in Canada in 2011. This is according to what they are told internally. Personally, I can't wait. :eek:

I am guessing that US will get it a bit before Canada.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
You could always move to Australia. We have them here, and they look very nice.
Those are available almost everywhere else. Difficult to say which option is better, the extremely low prices in the US or the better selection of models other markets usually have.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
We have owned 16 Diesels over the years. The two that stand out were the best cars we ever owned. The first one was a 1983 240D and the second was a 1985 G300 Diesel with a 5-speed. These cars were standouts because of their durability and simplicity. Mercedes can build the best diesel engines out there and there is no reason why we shouldn't have them here in the U.S. They built the first diesel passenger car in the 30's and no other car maker has that knid of experience.

·
Registered
2008 C220CDI & 1978 300D
6 Posts
My first experience with a diesel car was with a W123 1978 300D owned by my late father. I now have it. It's not as good as my W204 2008 C220CDI, but still quite good. In fact, I prefer the 300Ds vacuum operated central locking system better than the electronic version in my new car. There's just something elegant about the way it quietly locks the doors.

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI, 12 E350 Bluetec, 13 E350 Bluetec
934 Posts
I hope you guys are right. I also think they are missing the boat with not letting the S class diesel back in the US. I have no interest in a hybrid.
I am ok with diesel until any sort of real hydrogen drivetrain is available (if ever).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts