Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1994 SL600
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have lost audio from all front speakers.

The car is '94 SL600 with completely stock stereo system. I first thought it is just the fader setting that has randomly gone to "rear only" but it seems the whole setting is gone from the radio?? I don't have the radio users manual but I expected the fader setting to be behind the button with a spaker logo, together where also the balance setting is. Pushing the speaker only gives me the balance setting.

Any idea where to start tracing this one?

·
Registered
E350 Sport
1,454 Posts
no fader capability in the sl.

could be a head or amp issue. if you have access to a known good head, swap it and see if you get front speakers work, if they don't work it's probably a bad amp.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info - unfortunately, no access to good head unit at the moment.

Any other thoughts from others before I start sourcing a new head unit?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
Could they be water damaged ? as you seems to have water leak on the other thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress report - feeding the CD player in the trunk the good old ZZ Top Eliminator and turning up the volume, way up, made the front left speaker come to life... This makes me think the problem is indeed in the speakers, not the head unit or the amp. Perhaps they are getting wet...

Door panels will need to come off next.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
'Cause every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man' - but if those speakers are getting wet, you sure you were'nt listening to Rio Grande Mud?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the door panels off - indeed, the big speaker elements were all bent out of shape from previous water/moisture. Will order new ones from Bose on Monday with the info found elsewhere on the forum (only $40 each).

I will push the car out to rain over the weekend and see where the water is creeping behind the door panel.

Someone also suggest drilling holes to the bottom of the speaker cavity to ensure all water is properly drained in the future.

My main goal is to make sure water doesn't get into the door at all... Will see if I'm successful with that. Have no idea right now...

Ideas?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,116 Posts
replace the rubber 'squeegee' at the outside of the window

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The upper seal seems good, don't see a need to replace it blind - without knowing if that is the culprit or no. Will investigate today some more now that it rains hard and I have the door panels off.

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
Took the door panels off - indeed, the big speaker elements were all bent out of shape from previous water/moisture. Will order new ones from Bose on Monday with the info found elsewhere on the forum (only $40 each).

I will push the car out to rain over the weekend and see where the water is creeping behind the door panel.

Someone also suggest drilling holes to the bottom of the speaker cavity to ensure all water is properly drained in the future.

My main goal is to make sure water doesn't get into the door at all... Will see if I'm successful with that. Have no idea right now...

Ideas?
Fwiw, I certainly wouldn't drill any drain holes. Are the drain openings (holes, slots or whatever) in the bottom of your door open? If I'm right in believing what all I've read which seems to make sense, no windows are sealed well enough to keep all water out, and the damage was likely done because of stopped up drains and a lot of water accumulation sometime in the past (seemed to be fairly common). Could've been noticed and drained out before you bought the car.
If your drains are open, you should never retain enough water to damage those speakers.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I seem to have lost audio from all front speakers.

I don't have the radio users manual Any idea where to start tracing this one?
I didn't get any manuals at all with my car and complained to the dealer I bought it from and to MBUSA. Finally, the nice lady @ MBUSA sent me an Owners Manual reproduction and everything else she could find including the radio manual and a 2007 maintenance booklet covering pre- and post-'98 models and "superseding all previous publications".
Maybe having bought from a crappy real "stealer" helped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mlrb2113 - When I'm talking about drilling, I'm talking about the plastic speaker assembly units. If water gets in there, the only way out is through the speaker cone. Drilling a couple of holes there is completely safe and would improve the chances of water never ruining the speakers again - in case water would drip there in the future.

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
When i replaced my door speakers i also replaced the outer foam edge with rubber.
Not only it will keep the water on the inside of the speaker to a minimum but eliminates any unwanted resonation coming from the speaker/doorboard aswell.
In addition to that i do agree that drilling a few small holes at the bottom of the plastic assembly is a good idea but do it at the top too so that any accumulated condensation can escape.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hans - When you say "When i replaced my door speakers i also replaced the outer foam edge with rubber", what do you meab by outer foam edge?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I replaced the foam as seen in the picture with rubber, the hollow kind. The same as you would find in door seals for example.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
mlrb2113 - When I'm talking about drilling, I'm talking about the plastic speaker assembly units. If water gets in there, the only way out is through the speaker cone. Drilling a couple of holes there is completely safe and would improve the chances of water never ruining the speakers again - in case water would drip there in the future.
Fine. Hans idea seems fine, too.
I just don't understand why you have this problem at all if the drain holes are open, and if they're not it seems that the door can fill up with water, in which case nothing will help.
Must've been a lot of water in there sometime, not just "moisture".

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sometimes drain holes seems to be open but the inside can be clogged up with all kinds of rubbish. Clearing them up again is the only answer to be sure.
Also check your door/window seals for cracks, alhough they look fine visual they can have tiny cracks and in time water will sip through.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sometimes drain holes seems to be open but the inside can be clogged up with all kinds of rubbish. Clearing them up again is the only answer to be sure.
Also check your door/window seals for cracks, alhough they look fine visual they can have tiny cracks and in time water will sip through.
I wonder if konsuli will ever look at the drain holes. I still don't think the seals can keep all the water out, but if they're deterioated I agree they should be replaced.
There's a lot of comments on Google about doors filling with water from stopped up drain holes, and I don't think anything less would've damaged auto speakers.

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
I suggest just using the garden hose and spray it around your door and see if you notice something strange.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately the way the R129 speaker assembly is mounted, any water dripping from the top of the door will drop onto the speaker assembly and from there will drop into the area right behind the larger speaker. It will gradually collect there and will eventually rise enough to hit the speaker cone.

I tested this by having the car in Seattle rain for 2 days without the speakers installed into the assembly and the door panels off. I then pushed the car inside and found a little bit of water inside the black plastic speaker assembly (right behind where the larger speaker mounts). We are not talking liters or gallons of water, just a little bit but in the wrong place.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts