Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question many times, but i've never received an answer. I want to run a wire from the trunk to the engine compartment. How do i do this? I spotted a rubber grommet on the pass. side firewall. I ran a wire through, I looked everywhere in the engine compartment, but I couldn't find the wire. I think it ends up underneath the battery. Is the battery glued? It's impossible to remove. I need a source of 2 amps. Connecting this wire directly to the battery would be ideal. If there is another solution where I can connect this wire inside the occupant area or trunk and still get 2 amps, then I can accept that. Thanks.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Are you referring to the battery or the battery tray? The battery is not glued in place. The battery try is probably held by screws or bolts. There are several options available. Instead of running through the passenger compartment you can run a line under the car and up through the bottom of the trunk. This is probably the easiest way to get what you want.

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed the bar, which keeps the battery in place, grabbed the two handles, pulled the battery up to no avail. It really seemed stuck. There was no play whatsoever. There has to be a way through the interior.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i just changed my battery, it did had the glued feeling but i was able to get it out, try pulling it upwards as hard as you can but dont pull it towards the front the battery plate is grooved, that will prevent you from moving it.

when i wired amps on my previous car, i run it through the small hole near the headlight to the fenders into the cabin and under the door sills. try taking the black plastic on the wheel well off, if you see wires going into the cabin you can run your wires through there with all the others wires.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
isnt the changer in the trunk powered? wouldnt that be the simplest place to get power from since its already there. Lol and with 2 posts u couldnt of asked too many times ;) If your worried about engine noise u can put a filter on the line, and for extra boost a cap if ur concerned about the amps taking too much energy.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
I agree - the changer source can easily handle 2 amps, and of course it's already protected by a fuse. Just remove the cover on the passenger side of the trunk to locate the cable.

What are you connecting?

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The unit has a wired remote with a power switch on it. If i left the power switch on, the unit would stay on. The unit does not power down when the igntion is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts