Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
I have a set of 18" Nittos NT555s on my E-Class. So far they have been a very good set of tires. I like the tread design. Before that I had 16" Yokohoma AVS sports that were good as well. They give a lot of protection against curbing your rims. On my SLK I currently have 17" Kuhmo Ecstas and they are great. They realy stick to the road in corners and I would recommend them for the SLK.

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
430 - 2/21/2005 9:34 PM

Has anyone tried the Nitto NT555's?
I have 18" Nitto NT555 Extremes in my C320. They are relatively quiet and they provide ok grip on dry. But on wet their grip sideways is not very good. And when it is really pouring rain, they tend to aquaplane. Something that happens practically never with my SLKs Toyo Proxes T1S.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that the NT555's were almost like a drag radial. But if they just give OK grip in the dry I am very mistaken.

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
430 - 2/24/2005 12:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking that the NT555's were almost like a drag radial. But if they just give OK grip in the dry I am very mistaken.
Yes, the grip is OK, but not excellent. The rubber seems to be not very soft, because they are not wearing out very quickly. But this can be noticed on the grip too. You can make them slip if you drive in an aggressive way, even on dry Texas roads.

But please do not take me wrong, they are not bad at all! I would say they are very good value for the money. Of course depending on what you are looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts