Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coworker just told me that her new gasoline powered hybrid gives her 31mpg max!! Her face dropped when I told her my 31 yr old Benz gives me 26mpg running on B100.

31 years and a huge non recyclable battery improves only 5mpg???

Is it me or this hybrid business smells like BS?

My 1998 VW jetta TDI gives me up to 46mpg using B100, what is going on? 2011 Toyota prius hybrid is the same or less!!!

I kind of hate hybrids!

Much rather drive a German diesel, mb & VW rock!

·
Registered
157 Posts
French diesels are just as fuel efficient. My Citroen C4 1.6HDi gave me 35mpg. And I drove that car rather hard...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
This is why my 240D is my daily driver. Hybrids are a joke. What happens to all those toxic batteries when they finally wear out and won't hold a charge anymore? Try and answer that one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
not to mention...

the massive environmental devastation that takes place in the mining of the lithium for all those batteries... Most people who are "green" and like to talk about "reducing their carbon footprint" are invariably ill-informed and/or ignorant... or pretentious...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the longest time those hybrids were allowed to get in the carpool lane just because they were clean emission... With only the driver inside!!!

If their emission is so clean, why not connecting the exhaust directly into the cabin?

Hate on hybrids!!

:p

·
Registered
470 Posts
We joke about this ALL THE TIME at the shop!! 1980...minimal computers...quality build...HEAVY CAR...35MPG!! Most recent technology of today...tons of cheap plastic...won't last 30-40 years like a Mercedes...costs $$$$$$$$$$$$...same fuel economy!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My father has a 89 vw jetta diesel non turbo with manual tranny and it gets over 50 mpg. It will go over 700 miles on a little less than 14 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is why my 240D is my daily driver. Hybrids are a joke. What happens to all those toxic batteries when they finally wear out and won't hold a charge anymore? Try and answer that one.
They get recycled and reused.

Look, I love old diesels as much as the next guy. But there are benefits to hybrids, especially in city driving and in emissions.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Down there, where it says "similar threads" there is one pointing that Nissan Altima 2012 is been recalled due to airbag defects! Lol!

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
My coworker just told me that her new gasoline powered hybrid gives her 31mpg max!! Her face dropped when I told her my 31 yr old Benz gives me 26mpg running on B100.
Psh. I wish I was there so I could've told her that I can get 29mpg out of my 18 foot long, non-hybrid, V8 equipped 99 Town Car. :eek:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Psh. I wish I was there so I could've told her that I can get 29mpg out of my 18 foot long, non-hybrid, V8 equipped 99 Town Car. :eek:
You got to be shitin' me. I've driven TownCars since the early 90's and never got more than 20 MPG.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You got to be shitin' me. I've driven TownCars since the early 90's and never got more than 20 MPG.
Really? The less emissions strangled FI cars from the 90s all got exceptional gas mileage. I had Cadillacs. My 93 Deville 4.9 (front drive) religiously averaged upper 20s, in excess of 30 on trips. The Northstar in my 98 STS also got upper 20s low 30s (also FWD). Even the carbureted Olds and Chevy engines in the early to mid 80s got mid 20s on trips once they added Overdrive. These cars are running VERY low revs at highway speeds.
The front drivers with the 3.8V6 engine (Buicks and Oldsmobiles) all got great mileage too, but there was a big power increase going to the Cadillacs which got similar mileage. Those were all excellent cars. Boring to an extent, but well made, reliable, and efficient. Too bad they're so hard to find now, like our MB's, most have been driven into the ground, and here in NY, most are rotten.

Conversely, my 88 300SE only sees 25MPG with a tailwind down hill on trips. I've been lucky with it a few times, but low 20s and upper teens is more common. The Benz would do a lot better with overdrive. It's spinning 3500 RPMs at 70 MPH, compared with <2K RPMs in just about anything American.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
This was achieved while driving home from work. I have a 27 mile one way commute and 25 of those miles are on the freeway going in the opposite direction of the rush hour flow. I also bumped up the tire pressures slightly and drove in a sane manner.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I guess I drove too fast and with the overdrive off to save the brakes.;):rolleyes::)

Used to drive in a lot of high speed motorcades for the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Mounties always advised us to avoid using the brakes as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
For the longest time those hybrids were allowed to get in the carpool lane just because they were clean emission... With only the driver inside!!!

If their emission is so clean, why not connecting the exhaust directly into the cabin?

Hate on hybrids!!

:p
:big laugh:

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My father has a 89 vw jetta diesel non turbo with manual tranny and it gets over 50 mpg. It will go over 700 miles on a little less than 14 gallons of fuel.
Amen Brother! You get it!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This was achieved while driving home from work. I have a 27 mile one way commute and 25 of those miles are on the freeway going in the opposite direction of the rush hour flow. I also bumped up the tire pressures slightly and drove in a sane manner.

Is this in your TownCar?

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts