Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The bushings that I had installed front subframe were.. Febis. I'm sorry. Maybe you will have better results with yours. Autohaus didn't have any Merle fronts in stock, so I went with Merle rear bushings, and Febi fronts. The engine, transmission, and rear differential mounts are all MB. I noted a 3/8 inch height difference between the old, and new bushings when I compared them today.

Today was a good day. I was able to remove, and install the left front subframe bushings without having to remove, or loosen the engine mount bolts, which would have meant removing the p/s pump, and a/c compressor again for access to the left side engine mount nut. After dropping the subframe, a little additional persuasion with a pry bar gave me just the amount of room needed. I would have completed both sides, but my wife wanted to go out for dinner. I'll finish up tomorrow, hopefully for a long time.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Will do when we return home. The Febis really don't look any worse for wear, or bowed out. They just measured 3/8 in. shorter end to end than the new MB bushings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I notice no-one is mentioning vendor names. I have just fitted NOS (my guess from about 5-10 years ago) FEBI front subframe mounts). Do you think I should be looking for a set of MB?

The quality did look pretty reasonable, though I noted that the (brand new) FEBI sway bar mounts looked very cheap....

Not really possible to judge quality in a photo, but it does give me an excuse to post a couple a photos of the front suspension, subframe and steering I installed this week :) Notice that the subframe mounts appear to have yellow zinc plating, and the sway bar mount is plain zinc. I've always assumed that yellow zinc is far better, and an indication of quality (all the OEM parts I have that still have plating seem to be yellow zinc, or perhaps cadmium)
Nice. OT, what are the blue steering bushings?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
rowdie
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing