Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I headed out east to the beach house to mow the lawn. Once I had finished, I thought that I would take Benzie out for a drive. Driving along, I realized that the front end was behaving like it had before I replaced the subframe bushings. When I arrived back home I took a look at the (front) left rear bushing. Sure enough, after only eight months, or so after installing new aftermarket bushings, they collapsed. I'll be ordering a new set from my MB dealer tomorrow. Le$$on learned.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poly would be interesting. I'm going to starting looking around now. There is also the filling the bushings with liquid urethane option that I've read about here somewhere.
Offhand, I can't recall if they were Meyle, or Febi. I'll check my paperwork when I get home.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
We just hired a new engineer from the Lord corp. She is not a design engineer but hopefully she will have the back ground on how these are made. Lord makes most of the elastomeric mounts for the aircraft industry. I definitely will be picking her brain.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
Today I headed out east to the beach house to mow the lawn. Once I had finished, I thought that I would take Benzie out for a drive. Driving along, I realized that the front end was behaving like it had before I replaced the subframe bushings. When I arrived back home I took a look at the (front) left rear bushing. Sure enough, after only eight months, or so after installing new aftermarket bushings, they collapsed. I'll be ordering a new set from my MB dealer tomorrow. Le$$on learned.
How well do they treat you locally? Mercedes OE parts or something like that is a supporting vendor offering shipping and I think other discounts. Look in the supporting vendor forum.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, rowdie. I called them this morning but their computers were down. They were sill down when I called later . I was told that I was first on the list to be called when they came back up, but apparently they didn't. I'll try again tomorrow (if they're open).

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I have the same problem - did the job 8 years ago with a kit from Mercedessource; lasted less than 30000 miles. I think it was Mach4 who did the urethane trick on his subframe bushings. He also installed a diesel engine in his car with Bluetooth diagnostics fed to a 7" tablet mounted in his horn pad - very innovative guy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thirty thousand miles sounds great versus less than 500. I found the thread in which mach4 described his filling his bushings with urethane yesterday. I'm seriously considering doing this even though I will be installing official factory MB bushings this time. I want to do everything possible to insure that I won't need to replace them again any time soon. Here is the link in case you're interested (beginning with Post #3):

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Genuine subframe mounts are literally the only decent off-the-shelf replacement. They Do have a 2 year warranty, which is peace of mind, but at the same time, none of the aftermarket bushes are worth a crap.

catch .22

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Genuine subframe mounts are literally the only decent off-the-shelf replacement. They Do have a 2 year warranty, which is peace of mind, but at the same time, none of the aftermarket bushes are worth a crap.

catch .22
True but $250. vs $50. Not a bad deal if you only have to replace them twice as often. But 500 miles

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
..Yes, they did. 500 miles, 500 miles, I'll be gone 500 miles, or something like that. It's enough for me to keep singing to myself while I'm installing the new MB bushings. At least the install should go more quickly since it's my second time around. I just ordered them from my dealer. They will be in tomorrow.

In one sense, my miles traveled aren't as meaningful as the amount of time from installation to their collapsing. I installed them this past April, so they were only able to support the front end of the car for 4-5 months before giving up the ghost.

roncallo, I'm hoping that the MB bushings last for many more than 500 miles, unlike the aftermarket ones that I'm replacing.

JoeB, I didn't know about the 2 yr. warrantee. Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've run poly bushings on a few cars.
Felt like I was going to piss blood after about 250 miles. I'll stick with OEM rubber on these. Does anybody have a recommended provider? Her 280 and my 560 both need them.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
I have the same problem - did the job 8 years ago with a kit from Mercedessource; lasted less than 30000 miles. I think it was Mach4 who did the urethane trick on his subframe bushings. He also installed a diesel engine in his car with Bluetooth diagnostics fed to a 7" tablet mounted in his horn pad - very innovative guy.
I've got about 90,000 miles on my Mercedessource kit....bought and installed in 2005.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm not dogging Mercedessource. I have learned however to pay the premium on OEM parts; aware of the tricks in that effort.

Aftermarket soft parts are not the ticket in my experience

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have read all the posts from this and the "beat the subframe mounts to death" thread, and the urethane idea + the cheap after market mounts look very attractive to me. I think the combination of DIY and inventiveness in avoiding high cost is mainly what appeals to me. Will anyone that has used this method testify to its success in durability? Or have all of these things failed miserably 2 years after installation. This is on my bucket list, but still pretty far down and it is doubtful whether I will get to it until winter. But my mounts are most certainly original to the car. On a smooth road not too bad, but not good on something rough.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,063 Posts
I'm not dogging Mercedessource. I have learned however to pay the premium on OEM parts; aware of the tricks in that effort.

Aftermarket soft parts are not the ticket in my experience
I was just relating my experience. Aftermarket parts from 2005 and now I bet are a completely different animal.
And even some OEM parts are now coming under suspicion.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,465 Posts
I was just relating my experience. Aftermarket parts from 2005 and now I bet are a completely different animal.
And even some OEM parts are now coming under suspicion.
I agree. In 2005 Mercedes was selling to parts houses at discounted prices. Those house like AutohausAZ were passing on part of the savings to consumers. Mercedes ended that around 2012 Remember how pissed everyone here was. Also in 2005 many of the OE suppliers were selling parts as OEM. Many of the companies were still making the parts in Germany. Now days they have farmed out production to China and others.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I agree. In 2005 Mercedes was selling to parts houses at discounted prices. Those house like AutohausAZ were passing on part of the savings to consumers. Mercedes ended that around 2012 Remember how pissed everyone here was. Also in 2005 many of the OE suppliers were selling parts as OEM. Many of the companies were still making the parts in Germany. Now days they have farmed out production to China and others.
That explains why I was able to keep my 300D on the road for so cheap. I was buying parts for pennies back in 2010.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I notice no-one is mentioning vendor names. I have just fitted NOS (my guess from about 5-10 years ago) FEBI front subframe mounts). Do you think I should be looking for a set of MB?

The quality did look pretty reasonable, though I noted that the (brand new) FEBI sway bar mounts looked very cheap....

Not really possible to judge quality in a photo, but it does give me an excuse to post a couple a photos of the front suspension, subframe and steering I installed this week :) Notice that the subframe mounts appear to have yellow zinc plating, and the sway bar mount is plain zinc. I've always assumed that yellow zinc is far better, and an indication of quality (all the OEM parts I have that still have plating seem to be yellow zinc, or perhaps cadmium)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
rowdie
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing