Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was getting worried that my A170cdi would never go into F mode, but now luckily it has (thought I'd been conned there as I know they are supposed to after a while)! I found that the transmission worked fine in 1st and 2nd gear and if I then disconnected the plug at the right of the gear selector I could trick the transmission into 3rd 4th and 5th, then when slowing down, reconnect the plug and it would move down the box as I slowed. On switching off the F would disappear and I could recommence the process. All was well for a few weeks whilst I waited for a new gear selector (now have two) then suddenly the F remained permanently on and the transmission only operates in 1st and 2nd regardless of disconnecting the selector (new or old) or not. Does my new selector need coding or has my gearbox ecu finally had enough? Transmission is smooth a silk in 1st 2nd and R but I'm getting a bit fed up of 4500RPM. Quite like the F on the display though, just needs a U after it!
Any ideas folks?

·
W168, W169 Moderator
A180 CVT, A170, A190, B200
471 Posts
gear selector doesn't require coding.
if you have F on the screen, then the transmission shouldn't change gear from first to second, I think there is something wrong here.
anyway, when you have 1st and 2nd gears only and no F, usually this is caused by FTC speed sensor and you should get a code like P1850.
first thing you should do is have it diagnosed with star, because most universal scanners will give you code p600 which is useless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts