Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'89 420 SEL (white) & '89 420 SEL (Grey)
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 420 SEL is getting some coolant in the exhaust, so I've decided to replace it.
If anyone wants it as a parts car, I'll let it go for a song!

It still runs (for now at least) and has lots of good parts, including genuine euro head lights (not knockoffs), and a newly replaced AC compressor.

I'm in Arlington, VA.

·
Registered
1988 300SEL W126
543 Posts
My 89 420 SEL is getting some coolant in the exhaust, so I've decided to replace it.

It still runs (for now at least) and has lots of good parts, including genuine euro head lights (not knockoffs), and a newly replaced AC compressor.

I'm in Arlington, VA.
do you sell the headlights motors with the headlights or without (if your car has one) also I would love to buy the fuel air flow potentionmeter and the fuel dis. for my 420SL if its the same as mine, send me pictures please.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,089 Posts
does it have a warm up regulator

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
563 Posts

I'm in Arlington, VA.
sent you a pm (if you are selling whole car)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you sell the headlights motors with the headlights or without (if your car has one) also I would love to buy the fuel air flow potentionmeter and the fuel dis. for my 420SL if its the same as mine, send me pictures please.
It has genuine euro lights... as in mercedes benz, but I never changed the wiper motors and/or trim piece below them, so I didn't convert the wipers. It mens that the wipers don't sit straight, they are off at an angle, but it never really bothered me... at least not enough to get euro wiper motors and make the required changes.

The other parts I'm assuming will work on your car. Mine is a 1989, so if you have an '89 you're good. Unfortunately, when I posted "parts car", I really meant that I'll sell the whole car cheaply if someone wants it as a parts car.

Where I live, I have nowhere to keep a parts car, and my neighbors would not put up with me stripping parts from a car and having it sit out on the street as I strip it. Les Guy lives within a reasonable distance from me, and the car could be driven to his house. If he takes the car, maybe he'd part out what you need if he doesn't need it himself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it have a warm up regulator
Not quite sure what that is. Some type of computer was replaced years ago, that affected the idle. It also has some type of aux pump that pre-circulates engine coolant so that you get heat faster and you get heat at idle. That part was replaced some years ago. I also just replaced the mono-value last week, so it now gets GREAT heat. I read online that a genuine BMW part is an exact fit, and works much better than the aftermarket versions that people complain about, so I got it and put it in.

I'm selling the whole car to anyone who wants it for parts. Whoever buys it is free to part it out if there parts that they don't want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sent you a pm (if you are selling whole car)
Thanks. I replied. I forgot to include that I have a new set of spark plugs and spark plug wires that I haven't installed, and new centric rotors for all four wheels,
plus quality rear brake pads, and some other miscellaneous parts that all go with the car. I won't have a W126 any more, so I won't need any parts.

Here's a photo taken last week of the car.

Price-wise, I was thinking $1,000 for the whole car and parts, but I'm open to any reasonable offer.

I'm considering keeping the after-market radio head unit and pulling the power antenna, but everything's negotiable, and those are only two parts I'm interested in for myself.

The car has five good michelins on it. I say five, because I replaced the spare when I replaced all 4 tires. We don't drive much, so the tires are fairly new-ish, and -- if I recall correctly -- the spare should be brand new, but I'd have to confirm that if it were important to a buyer.

The sale is more about helping out a fellow W126 owner than the money. I have nowhere to keep a parts car, and my neighbors would throw a fit if I started to strip it and part it out while parked on the street in front of my townhouse!!!

If anyone needs a parts car and wants it, this might be a good candidate. Heck, depending on what you drive and it's condition, you might decide to use the body on this car, and swap parts INTO IT, rather than stripping this vehicle.

I'm hoping lesguy wants the car, since he's in VA too... and assuming he does, it's up to him whether or not he wants to part out components that he doesn't need.
Lesguy has first dibs on it if he wants it, but I just replied to his PM, so I don't know if it's a yes or a no on his part.

It was my wife's daily driver for 18+ years, and we did out best to keep it in good condition. The leather front seats have started to crack, so I was planning on getting them recovered in the spring. It is a 30 year old car, so it's not a pristine garage queen, but it still is (or I should say was) a nice, clean car. The (likely) blown head gasket has changed that.
My mechanic said he noticed the trans was starting to slip, and I rebuilt most of the major components in the AC, including putting in a remanufactured compressor, but there is a leak in the system that I need to find. I took the time to do the work right. Flushing the system, replacing the drier, pulling a vacuum, changing the O-rings, etc... but unfortunately I didn't get to diagnose where the A/C leak is. The vacuum leaked out in about 30 min or less... so there is a problem. The car is still set up for R12 refrigerant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's something else... I replaced all 6 vacuum actuators behind the dash for the HVAC system. Yep. 4 brand new OEM parts, and two afer-market replacement diaphragms for the two actuators that were "No longer available." While I was in there, I also replaced all of the vacuum lines and the rubber connectors for the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't replace the A/C expansion valve -- truthfully, because I didn't know where it was located (!!!!)... but i did but a quality replacement for it, so that part
comes with car too. I also have four new centric brand brake rotors, and new rear brake pads (all uninstalled in new condition), 8 plugs with new high quality
spark plug wires (also included with the car) plus few misc

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Car for sale. $600 or any reasonable offer.

At this price, it's basically a gift to help out a fellow benz owner.

I think the body's good. Don't know about the transmission... it was told it's slipping. I started rebuilding the A/C but it has a leak.

I took apart the whole dash to replace all 6 HVAC vacuum actuators, all of the vacuum lines and rubber connectors.
I also replaced the A/C compressor with a new or remanufactured one (cost almost $600 for the part), and a new evaporator.
I didn't replace the expansion valve... which is a pain to get to, but I have a new one that I'd give away with the car.
I also have 4 unused new rotors for the brakes and a set of pads (front or rear... don't recall) which I'll include with car too.

I plan to remove the aftermarket radio and power antenna. Everything else goes with the car.

The tires are good a fairly new... probably less than 5K miles on them. Michelins.

Reply or PM if you're interested. Please let me know where you are located, and when you would be able to take the car.
My replacement should arrive this week, at which point I'll be looking to get rid of this car.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
It's great of you to make this available. I sure hope someone will grab it. I would if it was close to me in San Francisco.

·
Registered
85 500SEL
48 Posts
If it were a little closer to Wisconsin, I'd love to take this off your hands.
Seems like a great deal for someone, just can't do a roadtrip to VA right now.

Greg.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it were a little closer to Wisconsin, I'd love to take this off your hands.
Seems like a great deal for someone, just can't do a roadtrip to VA right now.

Greg.
I agree.

Car is sold... pending pick up this Friday. Buyer is driving here from Detroit, and renting a tow-dolly to tow it back home.
I'm happy that it will go to a good home, and not be retired just yet. I'll miss that W126. We had it for a long, long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts