Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1981 u1300L, 1998 s280
2,113 Posts
That's been through vos's at some point, and their blog is in vos's link page IIRC.

Nene overland (grew up just down the road from them) have always liked making up prices for things on their forecourt. Must be that rule of business, if it's priced high to begin with, even after a huge haggle it's still a healthy profit.

Anyways, a few pictures from their website.

·
Registered
unimog 435 1300l doka 1986
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Price

I think the price is very normal for this rig because of the marked today (to little by my experience because there are so many expensive and time consuming things in building those trucks).:)

·
Registered
1975 404 Doka Unimog
327 Posts
I don't know my prices, but it didn't seem outrageous to me.
One thing I don't understand is those side steps. Why buy an offroad vehicle with awesome ground clearance and then bolt on those low slung steps.
Seems completely wrong to me.

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Unimog for sale in the UK

Used 5th Wheels | Wheels for sale | Out and About Live

If i had not just bought mine i would be tempted!

I saw her a year or so ago in Spain before the British couple bought her and made some significant machine upgrades. (Intercooler, Overdrive etc etc) But it seems after only a short tri they have discovered the Unimog is not for them and have purchased a Hymer....

Here is their blog for more detail

NotTheMogBlog - Adventures in Europe

Gerard

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
The challege withthis design is tgat the box is 3.9m long. Thus a huge extention from the 60% normal whih would only give you 3,2m. The extended box alone makes it a non starter for me. You have a 4 person berth but you can only go on light off-road.

On the price i know a similar unit sold on mobile.de for €58K but he had some work afterword with Merex for a further 16K.

However you never get what you put in.

Thus , in my humble opinion, the price should be calculated excluding the box.

She is pretty though!

·
Registered
ex-moglet u1700 (ex U1300L)
472 Posts
Thank you for finding their blog!

Reading from the start it seems the lady concerned didn't even like the mog!

Is that even legal?! ;)

3.9m is 60% if its a 3850 wheelbase. It does then have a scooter rack as well though. But, is it illegal enough for someone to worry about?

:)

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Went for a visit and here is some feedback

Hi All

As previously mentioned we just bought a 1550/37 doka (1992) and we are well pleased with her. She is currently being re-furbished by Atkinson Vos.

Our objective is to add a box on the back. We have been looking for awhile as the dokas are scarce and ever more so when they need to be RHD.

Thus when this doka came up for sale we just had to go and take a look for a couple of reasons:
  • We saw her for sale in Spain about 12 or so months ago and she sold very quickly
  • We know she had been to Atkinson for a full service and thus would be mechanically sound
  • They had done the same modifications we are doing
Thus the idea was to look whether we could rather go for a buy and modify versus our current strategy which is buy and build from scratch.

The first consideration is that the 1750/38 is heavier / stronger and naturally over the 7.5T limit which would impact where we could drive and park. But on the positive side it would reduce our current build restrictions as our Unimog needs to stay under the 7.5T weight limit.

The second was that this Unimog has the naturally higher roof which would be a significant positive for me. (Being 6'4" height is an issue) For some reason our Unimog was not manufactured with the raised roof.

Lastly the extra 10cm would be handy in the build.

Thus with this open hart we went to have a look:

In short: She is a very mechanically sound vehicle, the cabin looks good although some rust recovery and instrument panel repairs would need to be done. All which would be expected from a 24 year old.

Sadly it is all the rest that would make buying the vehicle for us a no go.
  • Everything inside the box would need to be stripped and replaced
  • The box is 4m long and square which limits our clearance or ability to add a tyre on the back.
  • The box is mounted without the 3-point mounting system. It seems to be straight bars placed on the chassis
  • All the electical units (fridges; aircons etc) would need to be replaced
  • The drop bar at the back is fixed and would require replacement with a flexible bar that could be lifted when clearance is required.
  • The modification to add a scooter rack would need to be removed.
  • The battery box would need to be replaced
  • All the windows are scratched and show age related wear and tear and would need to be replaced.
  • The Solar panels would need to be replaced and protection added
  • The body (e.g. running boards) show significant wear and damage and would need replacement.
  • It is a LHD so we would still need to invest in the conversion to RHD
Thus I think this would be a great project for a person which both skills, space,time and the tools to buy and self re-store.

But I worry that the seller would not sell it at a price valued at the base unit and empty box (excluding windows).

In conclusion(based on what we paid and are paying) I would say for such a person a good value would be around £40-£45K. And I would say 45K because I know how long it took us to find a doka and thus I would be willing to pay the premium.

Kind regards

Gerard

·
Registered
ex-moglet u1700 (ex U1300L)
472 Posts
:)

I don't suppose you took any more pics? I was thinking of going to be nosey too! How is the box mounted if not 3 point?

Can I ask where you plan on travelling?

And less than 7.5tons? You know the UK 7.5ton limit signs with a truck in the picture only applies to goods vehicles? So won't apply to you once you're a camper? :)

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Hi
pvt me your email and i can share the folder on dropbox. I took more detail pictures so they might be ideas to add to our designs.

Yes I know but as my 1550 has a 8ton limit I would like to stay away from it as much as I can. And I (if I understand the rules correctly) once completed she will be registered as a PvT HGV rather than a camper. And I want to not get into discussion with French police when I take a Sunday drive through the vines :) about the merits of the definition of a camper versus PvT HGV :)

Travels plans: Our goal is a year long trip through Africa back down to CpT. Initially (when the dream started 2 years ago) we were going down Syria and Israel into Egypt but now (excitingly) it seems we will be going n via Morocco and across the souther Sahara to Egypt.

·
Premium Member
U1550/37 Doka
149 Posts
Othe Doka's for sale and some price comparison data.

And naturally more come out of the woodwork! A 2150L38 Doka - 2001- For sale for £76500 (excluding VAT) but even bigger than the 1750.
Unimogdonald
- Update -

As to Price: Here is a 1550/37 Doka which has been on sale for awhile now selling for £39.5K:
Unimog for sale U1550L37 doka 1994

Merex is selling Doka 1550/37 for £30.6K (add 20% if you are not VAT registered). They initially offered this one "as-is" and as nobody bought it they completely rebuilt it. Naturally the price increased :)
Merex Autovertrieb GmbH | mobile-shop

We considered both these when we did our buying but the RHD conversion made this to expensive and my budget places me at around (around cause there are some "options :) £35K - £40K after I have added
    • a full service
    • repair (lots of little things adding up quickly!!)
    • Inter-cooler
    • new lager grill
    • larger radiator
    • overdrive
    • adjusted injectors
    • sound proofing (is this even possible!)
    • 3 point bed
    • extension of chassis
    • flat-bed with wheel covers and mud-flaps (so that she is legal to drive until we place the box on top)
    • fuel tanks (600L)
    • relocated exhaust
    • relocated battery box
    • removed rust and re-sprayed
    • any many smaller things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, if anyone is interested in the original posted Unimog it is currently for sale. Although it has been imported into the U.S and currently is in Lake Tahoe California.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rare 1750L38 Unimog Doka 43,300 Miles camper with rebuilt engine, OM366A turbo diesel, intercooled, fast axles and overdrive. Camper with wood paneling throughout. 2 bunk beds and a dinette/double bed. 2 burner gas stove with a 100l LPG tank. 12V compressor fridge/freezer. 600l fresh water tank with purification system. 200l grey tank. Truma gas/electric water heater. Truma vented gas heater. Shower/toilet room with fold down basin and Thetford cassette toilet. Telair aircon system powered from 2.5K diesel genset or 220 main. Roof mounted solar panels. Gearbox 2x8 speed. Prindle hitch and class IV hitch with wiring. Purchased and imported from Atkinson Vos England.Vin #WDB4351131W144625. Scott of Expedition Imports assisted with customs and delivery to his Vallejo shop. Currently lives in Lake Tahoe California Truckee Area. Can be seen by appointment
Engine number 3520100748
The Doka has been in storage for several years and currently is in the shop now for necessary service and repairs . Will update status soon
$125,000

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts