Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
Personally, I don't like the style. I think a normal 300ce looks better.

·
Registered
1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
3,570 Posts
That car has been for sale for two years; it's a regular on ebay. It was first for sale in Santa Monica about 2-3 years ago; that sale took three or four listings on ebay. Now it's for sale in Maryland, and it's been relisted again and again. Biggest problems are that (1) it's been passed around A LOT apparently, and (2) AMG never did Mosselman turbo work, so the genuineness of the engine in that car is suspect. I always figured it was an AMG-installed body kit, suspension, and wheels but it had no AMG engine work. Then some owner along the way installed the twin-turbo setup, then sold the car to a guy, who sold the car to a guy, who now thinks it's a real AMG twin-turbo. Except that AMG didn't do twin-turbos, and thus it's certainly not a "factory AMG equipped" twin turbo, and therein lies the Seller's problem. He should take the first $10k that someone offers him, but since he probably paid too much to get it, now he's upside down.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
It looks exactly like a car I was considering over 2 years ago with 64K or so on the clock up here in NJ.

It was listed on Craigslist and located in NJ. At the same time it was listed on Craigslist and located in NY. I spoke to both craigslist sellers and got very different stories from 2 different people. But, uh, the car was obviously the same.

It looks like the body kit is amg original except for the black mudflaps, the mileage looks logical since I saw it first, the turbo is definitely added by an owner.

And at $10K, it could be a good buy but it LOOKS like it has sold several times since I first saw it and buyers of such a vehicle do not tend to turn them over so quickly without some reason.

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
The car looks good but I don't like the SEC hood and grile! Also I agree with you regarding the turbo kit, it was added later on and it probably doesn't work as good. That will be a reason to sell the car!

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
If you saw it on craigslist in the same time in 2 different locations, then I would say it is just a fraud.
Also the recent seller on ebay has 0 feedback.

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
The car was also floating around with blacked out tail lights and a blacked out trunk filler. At that time, it was sporting chrome monoblock I wheels.

The AMG parts have a authentic AMG add-on window sticker, so at least we know the AMG accessories are real and not copies. Its possible the Mossleman turbo was installed at the dealer, back in the day, some dealers were resellers for Mossleman (like some are for Renntech), either way, at 10k, its a good buy.

Last auction had one bidder at 10k, guess the buyer never followed through with the sale.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I absolutely HATE that SEC hoods they put on these AMG versions... it looks like a after thought

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
Yea, that combo is hideous imo.

I don't think the car is a fraud, I think the NJ / NY sales trick was just some owner casting out multiple fishing lines.

·
Registered
1994 E320 (W124) 4-Door Sedan
332 Posts
That car has been for sale for two years; it's a regular on ebay. It was first for sale in Santa Monica about 2-3 years ago; that sale took three or four listings on ebay. Now it's for sale in Maryland, and it's been relisted again and again. Biggest problems are that (1) it's been passed around A LOT apparently, and (2) AMG never did Mosselman turbo work, so the genuineness of the engine in that car is suspect. I always figured it was an AMG-installed body kit, suspension, and wheels but it had no AMG engine work. Then some owner along the way installed the twin-turbo setup, then sold the car to a guy, who sold the car to a guy, who now thinks it's a real AMG twin-turbo. Except that AMG didn't do twin-turbos, and thus it's certainly not a "factory AMG equipped" twin turbo, and therein lies the Seller's problem. He should take the first $10k that someone offers him, but since he probably paid too much to get it, now he's upside down.
He lowered it to $8,000.00 Starting Bid...:crybaby2:
eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series (item 300229317951 end time Jun-05-08 20:21:46 PDT)

Yeah too bad, considering it is very clean, he should just get rid of the whole "THIS IS AN AMG" as opposed to a complete AMG KIT installed.

The TT is also nice, unfortunately MOSSELMAN no lorger supports this older model and parts are rare to find in the USA. Personally I think it could use an intercooler or a driver side hood scoop for the intake, something a little subtle like the 300D side vent(but on the hood).

Good Luck to this guy whoever he is. I'd take it for $8k, just for the parts alone.

-J

·
Registered
C43 AMG, 190E 0.0L
344 Posts
AMG never offered an SEC hood conversion as far as I know. If he thinks he's going to pull 10k+ for this, he is smoking something crazy

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 300E, 106500 original miles
136 Posts
I personally like it. I never knew the cars some came with back seat consoles, so weird.

·
Registered
Mercedes 500E & CLK32K
511 Posts
The AMG window sticker is a authentic item and it lists the SEC grill frame conversion. Of course, its always possible that the owner got ahold of a black window sticker and filled it in, pretty slim posibility IMO.

The 8k price is starting with a reserve, I suspect the reserve is still 10k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts