Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Defect Investigation Results : ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

More complains should be filed. I did one in July. If it doesn't happen to you, try to extend your steer column to full length. However, you will risk of having the SRS disabled and require to visit "workshop".

I also got the passenger side weight sensor problem. I looked under the seat and reseat the wire zip tie to give the connector more room to move. It fixed it.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,138 Posts
I have filed and faxed all RO info to them. They want to escalate it but need more input
from people. If they get that it gets escalated to a department that verifies/ checks the
design/production flaws. Once verified it becomes a NHSTA mandated recall and MB will
have to fix all of them and reimburse people like me who paid for the repair.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
There's been a DTB (TSB) since 2005 and the problem would have therefore been fixed under warranty if it came up.

The passenger seat airbag light can be accidentally set by backing the seat over a restriction in the rear footwell. Remove or unjam the luggage or whatever and it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
They won't fix them out of warranty. Tried for goodwill as the CPO had just expired and
still had to pay for it. Either way I would have and did file with the NHSTA because I know
how many units are potentially affected by this.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
An incident that creates a big fat dashboard warning light is a "safety problem?"

It's not as if you'll be adjusting your steering column seconds before an accident. Owners manual says don't adjust steering column while driving.

Even if you do drive for miles and miles staring at a dashboard warning, it doesn't mean you'll have an accident, as this situation doesn't create accidents.

The '94-'95 owners with biodegradable engine wiring harnesses never got the gov't to make Mercedes do free work for them either.

·
Registered
05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh? Having a loose connection in the airbag module means in an event of a collision, the airbag might not be deployed! Think about it. It is a big safety issue. Your chest hitting the steering wheel at 40km to 80km!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange enough! Case is closed on Nov 24. MBUSA will give extended warranty on it. Congrads to Noodles and other ppl. They can get their money back. Damn! I cleared the error codes. I need to generate them again!!

"During the investigation, ODI learned that MBUSA will initiate a warranty extension program to address the faulty connectors in subject model year 2005 and 2006 E-Class and other MBUSA model/model year vehicles. This action will extend the warranty coverage for this issue to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first."

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Well I have good news. MB is actually standing up and doing the right thing on this.
The letters are on the way. They have extended the warranty to 10 years on the
wiring harness and will fix it for no cost to the owner. It is actually 10 years
or 100,000 miles. If an owner is past 100,000 miles I would like to think
they would goodwill the job seeing as it is a serious safety issue. That is
why I am still hoping for a recall to protect all affected owners.

For the owners that already paid for it out of pocket Mercedes will reimburse the entire
cost of the job as long as it was done at an MB dealer. They know the NHSTA is
actively gathering data for a recall so to avoid the millions involved with a recall they
are doing this. It may keep a recall from happening because each owner of the affected
cars will be getting a letter that there is known defect and MB will fix it should a problem
arise. IMO a recall would be better and safer for the owners, but I consider this a big plus
towards the problem.
See attached sample of the letter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,514 Posts
FYI: Warranty Coverage Extension: Driver’s Air bag Wiring Harness. Model Years 2005 – 2006 ML (164), SLK (171), C (203), CLK (209), E (211), CLS (219), R (251), and Model Years 2005 – 2008 G (463)

More times than not (if not already applicable) other markets will honor warranty extensions by producing MBUSA documentation. If you want said documentation PM email address.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
affected all the cars on the W211 platform up to 2008, but when I read the
letter and saw all the other models with the warranty extended I was amazed. I had
no idea how wide ranging the problem is. It would appear to me that MB is being extra
careful with this seeing as an airbag failure could cause serious injury or even death.

One thing I had heard is that in some very rare instances the problem existed, but the
light on the dash was not functioning.

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
I got my letter last week... but no dash light problem... so guess I will take it in, but what will they fix?

Can I watch them fix it?

I'm really nervous when people work on my car... :)

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
The letter is not a recall, they are saying if it fails then they will handle it.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Not sure it will go out to Canada. I would contact MB of Canada and ask them or
print out the sample letter posted and show it to a dealer. See what they are doing
up there about this problem which affects the listed MB vehicles worldwide.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Hello. i'm new to the site. I have a 2008 e350 4matic. Is this considered a w211?
Yes, it's a W211 but is too new to be covered under this campaign.

E-class coverage is only for 2005-2006 models, as factory changes solved the problem for later versions of W211.

IF your car was affected, you would have received the letter. Because it's not, you didn't.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Kent is right. The wording of the letter is confusing, but the dealer and I were talking
about when I would get my money back and he said they only do the repair on the 05-06
211s. If it is 2008 there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1992 300TE, 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
368 Posts
I fixed my own SRS connector and recently went back to the dealer with this info on a refund.

Surprise! I just received a check in the mail for what I spent.

Happy,
Peter

1 - 20 of 32 Posts