Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E320 BLUETEC
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read it here

Talk about role reversal! They should be bringing four cylinder diesels instead of gassers anyway.

I think I just vomited a little bit, in my throat.

AZ.Benz

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I'll pass.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I see what you guys are thinking at first blush, but consider this, Hyundai was the first automaker to offer the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on their drivetrains. Now their desgin team is horrid and should all be executed then dipped in elephant piss, but I think Merecedes Benz might be on to something here. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I am not so worried about the manufacturer, I'm sure the quality will be good.

I don't care for most 4-cylinder motors. Too often they lack power, smoothness, broad torque bands, refinement, and a pleasant sound when running at high revs.

·
Banned
MBZ 300SD
2,949 Posts
Well, Hyundai is well ahead of MBZ on customer satisfaction and quality at an afordable price is still a problem at MBZ. They are still trying to find their way.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
71 Posts
The 2008 SMART car (Canadian-spec) is powered by a Mitsubishi 3-cylinder, 12-valve normally aspirated fuel-injected engine.

BTW, did you know that MB does NOT make its own tires? Shock. Horror.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
The 2008 SMART car (Canadian-spec) is powered by a Mitsubishi 3-cylinder, 12-valve normally aspirated fuel-injected engine.

BTW, did you know that MB does NOT make its own tires? Shock. Horror.
btw, I didn't know MB was a tire company.:)

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
If anyone bothered to "click the link" and read the article, then it would be clear how this is so much speculation and self congratulatory talk from Hyundai. :rolleyes:

So, they can make s supercar engine? Well . . . what's stopping them?

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,680 Posts
Less that six months ago, Mercedes-Benz was "talking" to BMW about partnering on a small drivetrain. Another pub now says MB is "talking" to Hyundai. Last year Dieter Zetsche said the company was open to every option. At the time he was referring to A & B class powertrains.

On May 1 of this year, MBUSA issued a press release that stated the year-to-date sales were at the highest level in company history. MB has had 14 consecutive years of sales growth.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If anyone bothered to "click the link" and read the article, then it would be clear how this is so much speculation and self congratulatory talk from Hyundai. :rolleyes:

So, they can make s supercar engine? Well . . . what's stopping them?
Yah, I read the link, it's still speculation.
What happens if MBz starts talking to KIA too? I think I'm gonna puke:mad:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
BTW, this year, Mercedes has expressed interest in providing Aston-Martin with engines.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Talk is cheap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We only have Mr Lee's word for what Deiter actually said. But I suppose MB might be interested in a cheaper source than Stuttgart for their China market cars.

Anyway, didn't seem to hurt Audi, which stuffs VW engines under the hood - and God knows where they are made! And BMW use GM autos.

It has to be increasingly tough for MB and BMW, as relatively small independent makers, in the new world - the competition has a cheap parts bin to dip into when necessary, and does so quite shamelessly, but most buyers seem to care only about price. :(

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
This week, Mercedes announced that future vehicles are going to share more parts in an effort to reduce costs and streamline production.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Perhaps...

MB can follow a time honored tradition in the far east and just buy a car with the engine technology in question and reverse engineer it; in years gone by, the Japanese were pretty famous for this kind of thing with Mercedes cars, IIRC.:D

JR

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
I spent some time in both a late model Sonata and an older XG-350 (what a stupid name for a vehicle) and I came away pretty impressed. Reminded me of the first time I drove an Accord back in the 80's. Nothing flashy, just good balance all around and a sense that it was well put together. Decent acceleration and good mileage. Hey if claims against the 100K warranty doesn't kill the brand and they start lasting 200K, they'll take over the market.

Not gettin' rid of my 124 any time soon, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts