Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
89 964c4, 69 xke, 74.5 jensen, 02 bmw 325i, 93 600sel, 99 f-350
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all... Purchased today a 1993 W140 600sel... 76K miles... Black on Black with four place seating... Have plans to upgrade tires(20's), maybe lower suspension(1"), front and rear lights, ECU Chip, and sound system... Interested in what anyone has to say about lower the suspension.... this is the only mod I might opt out-on... I will add new pic's as this w140 evolves.... But not sure how to insert pic's... need input on this as well... thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 92' Lorinser 600sel I do enjoy the lowerd stance of the car(about 2").Running 19" wheels suit the car nicely found 20's a bit to big.Good luck with a nice car(mines black on black aswell)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike... Car is being shipped from west coast.... it's going to be a long 3 weeks... As for lower the car... do you have to replace the rear hydraulic shocks... or can you modify the suspension leveling arm...

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
1,022 Posts
Beautiful 600! Welcome to Benzworld!

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
that is a damn nice car. you lucky SOB! haha enjoy it in good health.

as for lowering, the only way it'll truely work is i believe a full out lorinser kit...i just recently asked my local "tuner shop" and he called everyone he knew looking for coil overs, or a good combo of shocks and springs and we came up empty handed. you can get just lowering springs, but it'll put too much stress on the shocks and you'll most likely end up blowing them out.

·
Registered
1997 S320 (89,xxx miles)
141 Posts
Congrats, definately a very "sweet" ride... I love my 97' S320 so much, I plan on buying either a late model [W140] S500 or S600 in a few years, if I can find one with low miles like yours.

·
Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Looks very clean !

congratulation and welcome to benzworld.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Very Nice! I hope it brings you many years of trouble-free enjoyment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure what was done but I can tell you is she has aftermarket bilstiens all 4 corners as well as springs.There is alot of info on this site I am sure you can search the subject on lowering.Keep me informed of youre progress.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,886 Posts
Congrats! Very nice ride!

Although as I've heard somewhere else on this forum - your steering wheel's on the wrong side ;-)

·
Registered
96' S500, 09' S550, 06' SL65
225 Posts
Beautiful car. Lot's of great tech advice available here and some of the fellows have helped me save many $$.

Regarding ride height, call me old fashioned, but I don't get it. Some people want to lower them for a rock hard ride on tires with no shoulders and others want to raise em' so they can tow a boat or go hunting. But mostly it seems to revolve (pardon the pun) around the wheels.

I would argue, what's more rewarding when you get step out, someone saying "nice car" or "nice wheels"? I just always thought the wheels should hilight the car and not vice versa.

She's pretty...enjoy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zoso said:
Beautiful car. Lot's of great tech advice available here and some of the fellows have helped me save many $$.

Regarding ride height, call me old fashioned, but I don't get it. Some people want to lower them for a rock hard ride on tires with no shoulders and others want to raise em' so they can tow a boat or go hunting. But mostly it seems to revolve (pardon the pun) around the wheels.

I would argue, what's more rewarding when you get step out, someone saying "nice car" or "nice wheels"? I just always thought the wheels should hilight the car and not vice versa.

She's pretty...enjoy.
I just prefer lower cars... Five out of the six have a low stance... Purchased wheels and tires today... Found someone to drop the suspension 1.5"...

Attachments

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
539 Posts
I agree with this is the wrong car to be lowering and messing with its suspension, its a gorgeous machine without any upgrades. If I was to waste any money it would be to bring back the suspension to its original state, not destroy it. If you do decide for this project I would only buy some type of benz or equal quality rims, even some fo the good brand names are made in taiwan, they leave you with flats and bent rims every now and then. Nice beautiful find though, enjoy.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
wndmll said:
I just prefer lower cars... Five out of the six have a low stance... Purchased wheels and tires today... Found someone to drop the suspension 1.5"...
IMO 20's are just too big for this car and when you lower it like that it looks a bit ghetto, but no-one has the right to tell others how to have their car if they like it that way. One thing I would suggest you do though is go for a S600 grille they look alot more modern and perhaps some clear indicators and upgraded headlights.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
539 Posts
I know this is a sensitive area and lots of members prefer not to get envolved, I agree, you paid hard earned money and you deserve to mold your car the way you want to. On on another note its good he hears both sides so hes aware of safety issues and perhaps he does not know how well his stock suspension is when its up to speed. I mean im sure hes not aware his suspension is probaby worth 6 grand with all the hydraulics and components. He has the ability to control his ride from soft to hard, all that will be gone, so this is more of an educational recommendation rather then just shooting his project down. This vehicle is capapble of doing 150mph lots of safety and performance testing went into the making.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
bass1175 said:
I know this is a sensitive area and lots of members prefer not to get envolved, I agree, you paid hard earned money and you deserve to mold your car the way you want to. On on another note its good he hears both sides so hes aware of safety issues and perhaps he does not know how well his stock suspension is when its up to speed. I mean im sure hes not aware his suspension is probaby worth 6 grand with all the hydraulics and components. He has the ability to control his ride from soft to hard, all that will be gone, so this is more of an educational recommendation rather then just shooting his project down. This vehicle is capapble of doing 150mph lots of safety and performance testing went into the making.
Well thats the thing whenever anyone posts pictures of anything on a forum it's asking explicit or implied for peoples opinion, if they don't like what people have to say then too bad.

·
Registered
94 s420 98 s420
539 Posts
I agree and its all for a good cause, other members here might see something he doesnt, for example you simply think 20s are too big others might think the whole project is off, others think its the coolest thing, so we all say what we have and at the end the decision is his. I again doubt he knew what type of stock suspension is envolved with his model. He can check it out here and read up on how complex of a system it is.

V12 Uber Alles, Do It Yourself Repair for Mercedes Benz S600

1 - 20 of 42 Posts