Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SL500 Sport
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my door panel off this weekend to replace door check. First item on removal instruction list is the small triangular leather covered trim piece on the inside of the side mirror. I watched the videos from classic-roadster.de and read past posts for details. I have previously replaced this item as the dealer cracked a corner doing some work and would not replace it. So I know what the area looks like and knew approximately how to get off. I spent 30-45 minutes carefully prying around the top tab, feeling around the tab and applying varying amount of pressure and still broke it. Talk about mad. $75 part to be ordered for the second time!!! (By the way, I am mechanically inclined and do a lot of the work myself so I'm no rookie).

Will somebody please step up and report details including photos of how they successfully removed this piece?

Maybe my '99 is different than the earlier models, but anyway here are my photos of the area and the broken tab. Notice the scratches in the paint from my prying attempts. Also notice the white plastic receiver piece that the tab snaps into - is this the same as older versions? Maybe it isn't made to release the tab? All I know is the part was new so the tab shouldn't have been brittle or too aged as it was less than 2 years old.

Attachments

·
Registered
'99 SL500 Sport
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
door panel removal / door check strap installation

Notes and pictures from door panel removal and door check installation.

Read all the past posts and watched the videos then attempted to remove the panel. First thing I did was break the triangular trim piece - great start!!!

Removed all screws like the removal list says. The SRS airbag logo cover should be pryed out from the bottom edge as it has a cord type piece attached at the top that keeps it from coming loose even when it is popped out and this gets in your way if you try to pry out from the top edge. (Would've been helpful to have been told that beforehand, wouldn't it?). I slowly worked around the panel starting at the back lock area, working down and around to the front hinge / mirror area. Once all the mushroom style connectors are all loose, the top edge can be pulled free. It takes some force, with the window rolled down, grab the top edge with your fingers of both hands and pull sharply.

A special note on the mushroom connectors - I have read some wierd instructions about pulling it forwards or backwards, etc in different order but in the end I just pryed out. I used a very stiff (thick bladed) bread knife. I have read of some guys making their own spatula-putty knife looking device like the one on the videos but I found this worked well. The key is to feel around with the tool and find each connector and pry carefully while the tool is close to the connector.

Once the door panel is loose, it is held on by three things - the light wire at the bottom of the door, the door handle cable, and the seat adjustment controller cable. Unplug the light, unplug the seat, and disengage the door handle cable. The door handle cable has a small black plastic panel cover that just snaps out. The cable has a peach colored barrel shaped thumbscrew that I adjusted all the way in, slipped the cable through a slit in the housing, and pulled the chrome hook out of its plastic clip. Then the panel is free.

Notice the inside picture of the door panel - two of the plastic pieces with slots that are glued to the inside of the door panel came off (separated from the back of the panel) and stayed with the door instead of coming off with the panel. Look closely and you will see the 8 mushroom head connectors in their slotted housings. The direction of the slots are in three different directions - 4 of the slots are open to the left, 1 is open towards the top, and 3 are open to the right. How in he** are you supposed to manipulate the panel off by moving it in three different directions at the same time????? Anyway, I epoxied the 2 pieces back into place and let them dry while I did the work. Put the mushrooms back into their clips and its ready to go back on.

Door check installation is straight forward - just remove the clip on the bottom of the hinge pin, remove the pin, and remove the 3 hex head bolts. Note: I had trouble aligning the new piece. Initially installed the pin first and then tried the bolts. Didn't work well and door squeeked and creaked afterwards. I put a small amount of grease on the mounting tabs where the bolts pull them up against the inside of the door. Reinstalled with the bolts first and pin last. Had to drive the pin into place but it worked well and quiet as new. Be careful, there is a small grey thrust washer on the bottom side of the strap. See photo.

Hopefully this will help the next poor sucker that tries this job. I don't know why mine seemed so difficult when other posts make these things seem so easy, maybe the '99 and up are different from older models, don't know... maybe I'm not as good as I think I am?

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Thanks agian for the great DIY.
Did you read my http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1274208-door-check-strap-stay.html?highlight=door+check+strap and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1323504-door-panel-removal-99-01-cars.html#post2408535 post prior to taking on the job? If so did you open the attached PDF because it shows a picture of how to remove the piece that you broke.

My final question is, after all is said and done would you have preferred to pay an INDY $225.00 for the labor and a total price of $278.00 for both doors?

·
Registered
'99 SL500 Sport
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mirror triangle removal

Yes, I read all the pertinent posts, but they all say "pry off top clip with wedge tool" or something to that affect. I think my white plastic retainer in my door is extremely tight and won't let go of the tab like it should.

I will try double-sided tape for a fix.

I noticed the wrench in the tool kit (for the top) has an open end wrench that looks about right to try as a door panel removal tool or to straddle the tab on the triangle and pry with.

It is better to save the money DIY rather than pay the labor rates, for sure.

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, 1999 SLK, 2005 BMW 525I
208 Posts
DRIVER DOOR PANEL REMOVAL - HELP

need to replace door stop on '96 SL320. Any assistance is appreciated for a procedure of the removal of the panel. If pictures are available, it would be a bonus. thanks

EDIT: The topic has bee covered many times before.

Seek and ye shall find :)

RedLiner

·
Registered
208 Posts
I appreciate the advice given. I have removed the top triangle piece and the screws in the map box, however, i have not figured out how to remove the small panel surrounding the door opener handle or the around the seat controls. My SL320 is a '96 that has the vinyl or leather pieces instead of wood. Thanks again for any help.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I appreciate the advice given. I have removed the top triangle piece and the screws in the map box, however, i have not figured out how to remove the small panel surrounding the door opener handle or the around the seat controls. My SL320 is a '96 that has the vinyl or leather pieces instead of wood. Thanks again for any help.
Please read the attached PDF at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/1985957-post1.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
SUCCESS. '96 SL320 turns out to simpler to remove due to the fact that seat controls and door opener stay attached to the panel. Once panel is loosen then the door handle cable can be unhooked and the seat controls disconnected. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
42 Posts
Lone Star, do you remember when you had your trim off, how the wooden strip was attached to door trim, I can't quite make it out from the picture. Mine has lifted a little at the front bottom corner and I want to see if I can do anything to fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have R129 99 Sl500 and there is a rattleing noise from the passenger door. assuming its there bc I had a borken window so I think a peace of glass is in it...
The noise bothers me and now that I am going to sell it its going to bother the buyer so I want to fix it. I cant find any steps or docs that show me how to unhook the door from the center so I can open it and the the peace of glass out.

I do know how to change the speaker and the speaker cover but thats about it.

thanks,
AM

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
936 Posts
Yes, I read all the pertinent posts, but they all say "pry off top clip with wedge tool" or something to that affect. I think my white plastic retainer in my door is extremely tight and won't let go of the tab like it should.

I will try double-sided tape for a fix.

I noticed the wrench in the tool kit (for the top) has an open end wrench that looks about right to try as a door panel removal tool or to straddle the tab on the triangle and pry with.

It is better to save the money DIY rather than pay the labor rates, for sure.
You can buy these clips from the dealer for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Sport Black on Black
1 Posts
I have found these pics/how-to's are for different panels than my 97 sl500. I found the correct one in some microfiche.

If the pics are gone, just email me at snarphie -at- gmail.com

door-panel-removal.jpg

door-panel-removal2.jpg

Notice prying out the seat adjustment panel or door lock panel is not necessary

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Removing inner Mirror Triangular Cover.

I had my door panel off this weekend to replace the door check strap. First item on removal instruction list is the Mirror Triangular Cover trim piece on the inside of the side mirror. I watched the videos from classic-roadster.de and read past posts for details. I have previously replaced this item as the dealer cracked a corner doing some work and would not replace it. So I know what the area looks like and know approximately how to get off. I spent 30-45 minutes carefully prying around the top tab, feeling around the tab and applying varying amount of pressure and I still broke it. Talk about mad. $75 part to be ordered for the second time!!!

Will somebody please step up and report details including photos of how they successfully removed this piece?
To remove the Diver side mirror Triangular Cover p/n 12972007119045 black trim piece, at Parts.com for $57.68, on the inside of the door mirror, so that the back side inner tabs do not get broken, take a soft plastic removal tool like the first one in the picture below and gently pry the top of the triangle plastic cover and it will pop from the top silicone encased hole.

The WIS says, "Unclip mirror triangular cover from above using assembly wedge, pull upwards and remove". R129E1 Door Panel 1.mpeg

I hope the pictures below help in how to DIY.

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
To remove the Mirror Triangular Cover p/n 12972007119045 black trim piece on the inside of the door mirror so that the back side inner tabs do not get broken The WIS says, "Unclip mirror triangular cover from above using assembly wedge, pull upwards and remove".
Use a tool like (circled in RED) and the point of contact that the tool is used (in RED and YELLOW) in order to gently remove the part. No problem when I tried it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 ML350 BT, 2011 E5504M, 1997 SL320
258 Posts
Removal of plastic trim around the seat controls

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic piece around the seat control? The previous owner managed to scratch it all up, and as I understand the seat control portion does not come off easy like the older models. FYI my model is MY1997. Thanks!

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove the plastic piece around the seat control? The previous owner managed to scratch it all up, and as I understand the seat control portion does not come off easy like the older models. FYI my model is MY1997. Thanks!
We need to know what plastic piece your talking about. Please post a picture w/ an arrow.

The seat controller does come off easy after you remove the door panel. I hope the below pictures are of value.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 ML350 BT, 2011 E5504M, 1997 SL320
258 Posts
We need to know what plastic piece your talking about. Please post a picture w/ an arrow.

The seat controller does come off easy after you remove the door panel. I hope the below pictures are of value.
I'm talking about the grey triangle portion that fits over what you have posted. In any case, I now understand that you must remove the door panel first and then unscrew this from the inside.

Do you happen to know where the 'clips' on the bottom front and rear edge of the door panel are to pry off in the final steps?

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I'm talking about the grey triangle portion that fits over what you have posted. In any case, I now understand that you must remove the door panel first and then unscrew this from the inside.

Do you happen to know where the 'clips' on the bottom front and rear edge of the door panel are to pry off in the final steps?
There are about 4 fasteners. 1 at each end and two in the middle. Use the appropriate blue plastic fastener removal tool as shown in the picture above. Start from one end, move to the middle then finish on the other end. I would suggest that you have about 4 new Mercedes Fastener Clip Inner Door Panel p/n 0119887678 in order to replace the old and have some Super Glue in case you need to glue anyone of them back in place.

FWIW, I'm not sure that you will be able to R&R the "grey triangle portion that fits over the seat control switch". I think it's a part of the inner door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 Sl320
105 Posts

Is this switch the same on 91-98 models?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts